Chapter 21

After we spent about an hour sitting by the waterfall and enjoying ourselves we decided to go back to the car.

Both because we were tired and because we ate all the food we had with us.

Apparently, I wasn’t the only person who likes to eat this much.

We walked back in silence again. Only this time I walked in front of Luke.

I focused on the fading sound of the waterfall behind me and looked around, not really noticing where I walked.

‘Ugh, my feet hurt so bad’ Luke groaned.

I smiled and looked behind me.

‘I know, mine feel awful too. But we’re almost there’ I said.

I turned back around and continued walking.

10 minutes later we were back at the car and we got in.

We sighed, relieved that we got to sit down, even though we had been sitting down for the biggest part of the day.

‘Okay,’ Luke said after a few minutes.

‘Let’s go find a hotel’

I nodded and Luke started the car.

The centre of Kerikeri was close to Rainbow Falls, and we got ourselves the first hotel we could find.

Luke checked us in again, while I decided to go pack the bag already.

Little flashbacks from the night before slowly came back to me, but since it wasn’t dark outside yet, I wasn’t scared this time.

In fact, I kind of liked being alone for a few minutes.

Not that Luke was bad company or that I regretted going with him.

I was just used to being alone a lot and now I constantly have someone around me.

‘Okay,’ Luke started talking when he walked up to me ‘I booked the room for tonight and tomorrow. I figured we could go in to town tomorrow and see if there’s anything to do or see in there’

‘Okay’ I answered, stepping away from the trunk and waiting for Luke to put his stuff in the bag.

He handed me the keys of his car and of the hotel room and some information about the hotel and opened his suitcase in the trunk.

‘Did you put the other water bottles in the bag?’ he asked when he saw them already lying in there.

‘No, the talking kangaroos that walk around here must have kicked them in’ I answered.

Luke looked up at me and smiled.

He always seemed to give me a smile when he looked at me.

Luke closed the trunk and I gave him all of the keys and papers back.

He locked the doors and we went inside.

‘Where do we go?’ I asked.

‘ehm, I think she said it was the third floor’ he replied.

‘you think?’ I asked.

‘I think, yeah, I always forget what they say but the room number is on the key so we’ll find it eventually’

‘Let’s go to the third floor then’

Luke nodded and pushed the button on the elevator.

We patiently waited for it to arrive and when it did, we walked in.

Luke pressed the button for the third floor and we watched as the doors closed.

I had never been in an elevator before and it scared me a little.

It was a very small space and there was no way of getting out unless the doors opened.

I sighed and looked at Luke.

He was carelessly leaning against one of the walls, completely trusting the elevator on taking us 3 floors higher and dropping us off safely.

A few seconds later the elevator stopped and the doors opened.

I sighed again, in relief this time, and followed Luke to our hotel room.

‘I found it’ he said, stopping in front of a door.

He used the key to unlock it and we walked in.

We both dropped our exhausted body’s on the couch and we stayed there for about 5 minutes.

‘Shall we order pizza and just stay in for the rest of the night?’ Luke suggested.

‘Yes, that sounds like a very good idea’ Luke smiled at me, again, and literally rolled himself of the couch.

He groaned when he hit his head against the hard wooden floor and I laughed.

‘What are you doing?’ I asked, biting my lip to stop myself from smiling.

Luke was still lying on the ground, with his face flat on the ground and his arms hidden under the rest of his body.

‘I wanted to grab my phone’ he simply replied.

‘but, isn’t that in your pocket?’

Luke nodded, which made his face rub the floor.

I grinned and stood up to grab my pyjamas out of the bag.

Luke slowly got up from the floor and grabbed his phone out of his pocket.

‘I’m going to take a shower alright?’ I asked.

Luke nodded and I walked to the bathroom.

‘And I’m paying for the pizza this time!’ I yelled when I tried closing the door.

Luke ignored my comment and ordered our pizza’s.

By the time he was done, I was still fighting with the lock on the door.

Call me weak, but I just couldn’t get it closed.

‘This stupid door’ I mumbled, opening it and almost hitting Luke in the face with it.

‘Are you alright?’ he asked, trying to stifle his laugh.

‘No, I can’t get the door locked’ I mumbled.

Luke grinned and pushed me back in the bathroom.

‘Let me try’ he said.

I sat down on the edge of the bathtub and watched as Luke easily locked the bathroom door.

He turned around to face me and didn’t bother trying to hide his smile anymore.

‘How did you do that?’ I asked, walking past him and looking at the lock.

‘I couldn’t even get it to move’

Luke  unlocked it from behind me and took a step back, sitting on the edge of the bathtub just like I had done a few seconds ago.  

‘Well, try it again’

I did what he said, feeling slightly embarrassed and uncomfortable by Luke staring at me as I tried to lock the door.

He softly started laughing and stood up.

‘Maybe, you should try turning it the other way?’

‘That doesn’t make any sense, you always turn it to the end of the door, not away from it’

‘Just try it’ Luke said, biting his lip again while leaning against the wall.

I looked at him, and focused back on the door.

I put my hand on the lock and turned it to the right. It easily locked and I couldn’t help but laugh at how stupid I was. 

-----
A/N:
Omygod i totally forgot to update this yesterday I'm sorry!!