Chapter 20

Two and a half hours later we were in Kerikeri.

I knew that, because we passed a board with the name on it.

The drive had been silent. We both didn’t really have anything to say, so instead we just enjoyed the view we had.

‘Is it okay if we go there?’ Luke broke the silence as we drove passed another board.

The little board said something but I didn’t get the time to read it.

‘go where?’ I asked.

‘I don’t really know. It said rainbow falls and it sounded kind of awesome’

‘It does sound awesome’ I answered.

Luke looked at me with a little smile before focusing back on the road.

‘So we’re going there?’ he asked, just to be sure.

I nodded ‘Yes, let’s go there’

Luke took a turn so we were on a different road and within 15 minutes, we reached our destination.

Luke parked the car and we both got out.

There were two ways to get to the rainbow falls.

We could either walk or drive, but since we’ve been sitting for quite a while we agreed on walking.

‘What even is Rainbow Falls?’ I asked as Luke grabbed his backpack out of the trunk and filled it with some food and drinks we bought on our way here.

‘I have no idea,’ Luke answered ‘but I’m dying to find out’

I nodded in agreement and watched as Luke swung the bag around his shoulder and closed the trunk.

‘You ready?’ he asked.

I nodded again and we started walking.

Within minutes we were surrounded by nature.

All I could see was the trees, and stones that were on the most random places.

There were broken branches on the ground and there was some mud here and there.

There were birds chirping all around us and to be honest I couldn’t be more amazed and fascinated as I was at that moment.

Luke was walking a little bit ahead of me, looking back every once in a while to see if I was still following him.

I noticed it, I just didn’t feel the need to pay attention to it.

Somehow just walking here had calmed me down, even though I thought I didn’t need to be calmed down.

I thought I didn’t have that many things to worry about, but now that I was walking here, my mind just went blank.

I felt like I had nothing else to worry about then what was happening right in front of me.

And I didn’t even need to worry about that, I just needed to look at it, capture it in my mind, and never forget it.

‘It’s beautiful isn’t it?’ Luke interrupted my thoughts.

He was walking right beside me now and I looked up at him.

I smiled and nodded, looking back to the trees.

I didn’t really want to talk, I just wanted to enjoy this silence.

I wanted to take in all the noises I heard and just enjoy it.

We walked in silence for about 30 minutes until I suddenly heard something else.

‘What’s that noise?’ I asked.

Luke looked at me and focused on the sounds around us.

‘It sounds like a waterfall’ He answered.

His face lit up and he grabbed my hand, pulling me forward so we were walking faster.

I wasn’t a fast walker and I was practically panting after 10 minutes of Luke pulling me forward.

The noise got louder the longer we walked and after 5 more minutes Luke suddenly stopped walking.

‘I think we found rainbow falls’ he said.

I stopped right next to him.

Our fingers were still intertwined and I couldn’t help but smile by the beautiful sight of the waterfall right in front of us.

We walked a little closer and sat on the edge of the water.

There was a little sort of lake right in front of us and if you looked a little further you could see the waterfall.

It was a gorgeous thing to see and I probably could’ve stayed there the rest of the year and I would still enjoy it in the end.

‘Here’ Luke said, handing me a bottle of water.

I smiled and took it from him.

My breathing was still a little heavy from walking so fast but Luke didn’t seem to notice and I didn’t care enough to tell him.

‘I wonder why it’s called rainbow Falls,’ I said after another few minutes of silence.

‘I get the Falls part but I don’t see any rainbows’

‘That is a very good question’ Luke answered.

He grabbed his phone and started typing.

‘What are you doing?’ I asked.

‘I’m looking it up’ he answered.

I furrowed my eyebrows. I had no idea what he meant by that but I decided to just drop it.

‘Apparently, if the weather is right you can see rainbows here, but I guess the weather isn’t right today’ He said.

I nodded and watched as Luke put his phone away and looked back at the waterfall.

He continued talking but for some reason I was suddenly completely mesmerized by him.

I had no idea what he was saying, because all I could think about was how happy he looked.

He had a beautiful smile on his face and his hair was standing up in a quiff.

It had been like that ever since I met him, but for some reason I only noticed it just now and I must say that it looked just about perfect.

The little pieces of hair that stubbornly stood the complete opposite direction of the rest is what made it look good on him.

Clearly he styled it this morning, but he somehow managed to make it look like he just got out of bed with it.

And more surprisingly, it made him look good.

He practically created bed hair, which is not supposed to look good, but it did look good on him. 

-----
A/N:
I'm running out of chapters...
*frantically jumps around the house and eats all the food, trying to find the time to write*