The Heir's Birthday

A/N: Hey! This is the first real chapter of my one-shots. Btw, this has no research. So don't expect things to be historically correct, I just wrote down what I wanted ;3

###

Age: 17-18. Race to The Edge.

Place: Mainly Berk

Couples: None, well, not yet. ;>

Summary: It's Hiccup's eighteenth birthday, which means he has to go back to Berk and play a game of Maces and Talons with his Dad. Sounds simple, but it means everything.

###

It was a normal day on Dragons Edge, sunny, a few clouds. Except, it wasn't that normal. Today, it was a certain heir's birthday. His 18th, to be exact. This certain Viking, Hiccup, began the walk to the clubhouse, gloomy. When he arrived, all his friends were there with cheerful faces.

"Hiccup! Happy birthday!" Hiccups best friend, Astrid, cried and hugged him. He managed a smile and a thanks for everyone's good wishes, before going back to his sad state. He sat down at the table with his breakfast, but he never ate anything.

"Hiccup? What's wrong? You should be celebrating today!" Fishlegs cried. He was concerned for his friend and leader.

"Yeah. 18! I'm not even 18 yet!" Tuff yelled. Ruff smacked her twin in the face and yelled,

"Duh! He's the oldest out of everyone! Anyway, why are you all depressed?"

"On any heir's birthday, they're meant to play a game of Maces and Talons with their Father, or whoever is the current chief." He said, with no emotion what-so-ever.

"Easy! You beat Viggo. And he was just playing a life-size game!" Snotlout yelled.

"I'm not done. That heir also has to begin chief training within a month. If not, it's passed to next in line. That would be you, Snotlout." Hiccup said, looking towards his younger cousin. he folded his arms on the table.

"That's amazing, Hiccup! Chief! What an honour!" Astrid cried, flailing her arms in the air.

"Yes! Don't you think that would be fun? You can boss everyone around!" Tuffnut yelled, earning another smack to the head.

"It would be, for you guys. You all know who you are... you always have," Hiccup said quietly, looking at each and every one of his friends before returning his gaze to his untouched food. "But I... I don't know." 

Everyone looked upon their leader with sad eyes. 

"Well, we should probably get to Berk, like you said. Your Father will be expecting you." Astrid said softly, wanting to place her hand in his hair, but instead went with his shoulder. Hiccup grumbled something no-one understood. "You can't change what's about to happen, Hiccup." 

He slowly nodded and stood up. "Alright gang, pack your bags, we're going back to Berk."

Time Skip ;P

The Gang touched down in the middle of Berk's busy village, infront of the chief and Hiccup's house.  Before anyone could say anything, they heard that recognisable, booming voice.

"Son! What a pleasure! I thought you weren't going to show up!" he said, slapping Hiccup's back with accidental force. He turned towards the gang. "The party's tonight, it's going to be formal. So, look proper, and sharp. Don't worry about decorations, they're being handled. Hiccup and I, need to talk." He finished eventually, walking inside his house.

"You heard him, gang. Party's tonight. I'll see you then." Hiccup sighed, following his dad. Astrid flashed him an apologetic smiling before he walked through the door.