CHAPTER 49: Bodyguards

Last Chapter Recap:

"If there's one thing we are similar at," Takei said, "it's how we care for the same person. So if you want to see her, I suggest you trust me cos there's nothing else to do but that. If you want to see her, that is."

"I want to see her, chef."

The corner of Chef's lips twitched. "Then trust me, kid."

Chapter 49
"Bodyguards"

***

ANNA'S POV

Despite my reluctance, I found myself sitting inside a car, with Satoshi on the passenger seat and with Yoshibara behind the steering wheel.

"Can you give me a proof that he's inside the car and not in the car's compartment?" I asked in our native language.

Satoshi looked at me side-ways, "Takahashi and Higashi are with him, I can assure you they won't cause more harm to that kid, unless ordered."

"Where are we going, anyway?" I asked, "and, who are they? Takahashi and Higashi." (Japanese)

"To the place where they bring captives and threats, Anna-san," Yoh said, "you''ll understand once we are there." (Japanese)

"Okay, but you haven't answered the other question."

"Takahashi and Higashi...Those are your guards, Anna-san," Satoshi responded this time.

"This is my first time hearing those names."

"They are Bodyguard #4 and Bodyguard #5, Anna-san." Yoh answered.

I could only sigh. I observe the passing scenery outside the window, before looking in the front again. My heart is restless, and I can't help but worry.

"Can you atleast give him water and food?" I asked, still in our native language.

"Anna-san," Yoh called in an unusual cold and strict voice. "I am sorry to say this, but I believe it is better not to pity Daniel. Do not forget the words and the unforgivable actions that he did to you. Death is a humane sanction for his deeds.''

"I disagree," I countered. "I can see his pleading eyes earlier. He mentioned something about someone planning this..."

"Still, he broke the one and important rule," Yoh said, "It's easy, but he still broke it. No one, especially an outsider, is allowed to let others see your mark - unless being asked or badly needed. In his case, he flaunted it to you without knowing the real you. It is a miracle he's still alive. His body should be resting inside one of the garbage disposals by now."

I couldn't help but cringe with that. How can they say that as if it's a daily occurence? "I can't believe I'm hearing you say that," I said. "I can't believe I am involved with this kind of violence."

I hate it, but what can I do? This is what my family really is. And, like I said, hating something inevitable is a waste of time and feelings.

"We understand where you are coming from, Anna-san," Satoshi said, his voice sounded apologetic and sad. "We know how hard it is for you to adjust to this lifestyle. Sadly, these occurences have been included since the first generation of our clan. I am a succesor of my father's mark; my father killed my mother when she discovered that the three-pointed star was connected to a notorious underground clan and threatened my father to out him to the locale police. She made him choose: his family or the clan. He chose the latter. After killing her, he hang himself. As a five year old kid, I was devastated and confused.''

"W-What...?" I looked at Satoshi, terrified of his story. "Is that...?"

"Before hanging himself," He continued, "He wrote a letter for me. He said he was sorry for everything and for letting this happen - said I'll understand why he had to kill both himself and my mother once I grew up. He also said he's certain I will never be alone again, even though they had to go.