Chapter 39

Niccolo Point of View

Because that woman was me

What the damn is she doing? Did she just confess to my Nonna that she was the woman who left her grandson?

Snap it, what the heck is she thinking, going about at confessing my Nonna at such a sensitive time?

Although our intention was purely to get a jealous reaction from her previously and claim her love for me publically, this was not we were expecting; at least, not this soon.

The room was embraced by pin drop silence. Nonna was shocked herself by the sudden revelation and did not try to mask her stun. Mrs. Jones, on the other hand, was looking at Bella in disbelief and confusion, similar to mine.

Bella fidgeted from one foot to another at the ominous silence that filled the room. She didn't dare to raise her head and look at Nonna but she kept on stealing glances towards me to gauge the ambiance.

Nonna, after watching Bella like a hawk for good few minutes, cleared her throat, gaining our attention. "And you are telling me this now, because?" Nonna asked in a neutral unfazed tone that she usually used while attending a business or an official setup.

She is testing Bella. I know it by the look on her face that she is going to pretend she doesn't know anything about it and test her about her intentions.

"Because it has started to become overwhelming to me." Bella answered. Her quivering voice a strange devastation that pierced my heart. I wanted to butt in and stop Bella but one look from Nonna stopped me.

She wanted to get to the bottom of Bella's thoughts and feeling today, now that the revelation has been taking place.

"Did you know I was his grandmother when I took you in?" Nonna asked to which Bella shook her head claiming that she had no idea who she was until I arrived here.

"I was planning to hide myself from Niccolo, Mrs. Clara. I had no intention of meeting him face to face; not at least anytime soon. It came as a shock to me to see him here." She stated truthfully.

"Bella..." I trailed off, trying to stop her from hurting herself. She chose to talk about us to Nonna and I can see how much it is hurting her. And I also know that most of her hurt is because she thinks that the whole world is against her and my union.

Though she is partly correct, she is partly not as well. She is failing to understand that as long as we have our family approval, nosy world should not matter anymore.

"I'm not your grandson's worth, Mrs. Clara. I know I was never the moment we met." She said and was about to continue but Nonna's remark took her by surprise.

"And yet you are here, talking to me about the same person whom you hurt the most." Nonna's comment made furious. I looked at her and raised an eyebrow at her for being too tough on Bella.

My Bella, who is too coward yet so strong, was trying to make things clear and Nonna was making it hard for her to talk freely.

Nonna blinked at me for a couple of times and turned her attention to Bella who stood there like a statue. "I am hurting too, Mrs. Clara. I might look like I'm working here, earning my keep, but I am hurting too." Bella replied back a little loud this time and immediately gasped when she realized what she said.

"I'm sorry. I have reasons for what I did, Mrs. Clara." She took a deep breath trying to gulp down tears which are forming in her eyes. Her eyes are moist now but she is controlling herself from breaking down.