Chapter 29

Phoebe Point of View

One month...

One month, thirty days of time has proved me wrong to think bad about Mrs. Clara. I thought she has some hidden agenda to take me in. I thought she was just like everyone else but the way she was all these days reassured me a little about her.

The day I woke up in the unfamiliar room and had conversation with Mrs. Clara, I was forced to eat and take medicines by Mrs. Jones.

Two days of forced rest, I was ordered by Mrs. Clara, who I came to know as the lady of the mansion I was, to learn few basic delicacies of the family and was also assigned the duty of cleaning.

My pay was not bad considering the food, clothing and shelter is already taken care.

But in all those days if there was something that saddened me even more is... I'm not happy.

Despite of the freedom, despite of finally being the queen of my own life, despite the two amazing ladies who are trying to help me in one way or the other even though they dont know what my problem is.

There hasn't been a moment I didn't remember Nicco.

Everything reminds me of him.

The days were lonely and hurting and the night were even more. There wasn't a night I slept without crying.

I don't know what kind of tortures are there but this is the worst way to torture someone.

Staying away from the light of your life!

"The store room and attic has been cleaned and organized, Mrs. Jones. Is there anything else to do?" I asked the good old lady who is in charge of housekeeping and kitchen in this mansion.

"Dear me, look what this old mind has forgotten; Phoebe dear, please change the bed sheets and curtains of the room beside Lady Clara's. Also do not forget to stock the bathroom with the essentials that I will give a list of." Mrs. Jones ordered me in a hurry when she had a ding sound from the kitchen.

Delicious aroma of cookies and freshly baked fruit cakes wafted from the kitchen taking my breath away.

Nicco loves fruit cakes!

A memory flashed before me, of the time when Nicco took me to a café and stole my share of fruit cake too just because he couldn't stop himself from eating it.

"That smells delicious, Mrs. Jones." I complimented her with a small yet a sad smile.

"Ah yes, these are for Clara's grandson. I assume he will be visiting soon for a few days." She said smiling brightly and I can see the adoration for the grandson clearly. He must be a great person for being adored in such a way. "And these delicious cakes are a surprise to him. He is crazy about these fruit cakes and cookies."

"Clara went to her grandson to get his butt here." She answered my unasked question.

Family...

It's such a lovely thing to have. To have people share everything you love and to tease with everything you hate. No amount of money, power or status can give the feeling of loved by family.

The grandson is a lucky person to have one such!

After the small chat with Mrs. Jones, I cleaned the room and filled essentials for the person who would be staying in the room. Every second I spent that room made me feel close to Nicco somehow. It was like I can feel him, his air, his smell. The grandson's choice in everything is so close to my Nicco that it made me very sad and terrified at the same time.