Chapter 31

Phoebe Point of View

I always heard people say that if you love your life, life will love you back; I would say, it's debatable.

I had always did my best coming in terms with my situations how hard they were and how much time it took me to do so. I had learnt a lot along the side while dealing with them. Something I failed to learn was to deal with a person who confuses you.

Many people I know was good in dealing with confusing people, including Mrs. Clara and Mrs. Jones. I don't know it's their age, experience or something else but the day they found me half dead and woke up as a closed off and a confusing person, handling a broken person like me was nothing tough to them.

All they did was provide me with basic necessities and a straight order to work for them. I was surprised how effective that command was. I had to oblige them without a question back and in return, they did not ask me much about my past.

I was always envious of such people who can tackle with situations and different people easily, something I found regret not learning in the current situation.

When I left Nicco, I had come up with many ways of possibly meeting him again and this isn't one of them. To me, meeting him again even coincidently was a farfetched idea. Still, here he is, sitting in the very dining room she was used to cleaning every day from past couple of months.

What is he doing here? Was the first question that hit me.

Out of all the possibilities in the universe, I did not expect being saved by a lady who is very closed related to Nicco.

"Nonna, are you not going to stop stuffing me? I'm full Nonna and I don't think I can eat anything for few days with the amount of food you made me consume right now." Nicco complained.

The voice... his voice is enough to make me nostalgic. I missed him so much that the moment I landed my eyes on him an hour ago standing right at the door being greeted by Mrs. Jones, I didn't know if I should stand still and capture his picture in my eyes or I should hide somewhere.

My eyes blurred in tears when I noticed how pale and lean he looked. He has dark circle around his beautiful eyes and his skin color turned unhealthy. Something I always loved in Nicco was his bright eyes but I cannot see anything bright in them anymore. They were blank and bleak.

The moment I saw him, I thought that was it. He would rush to me, hug me and kiss me first and if he has any anger then he would take it out later but what I did not expect was lack of acknowledgement.

"No, you have to put on some meat and turn back into the charming handsome grandson you were once. Look at you all skinny." Mrs. Clara, whose name I came to know as Clara Russo, commanded adding some more spiced rice to his plate.

Nicco groaned when food was added to his plate while he gave his grandma and Mrs. Jones a stinking and an irritating eye. Meanwhile, he did not even look at me for once all the time. It has been almost two hours that he arrived with a shock to me and he did not look at me not did he acknowledge me for once.

"I want to meet this girl who made you like this. I would like to knock some sense into her for doing this to my grandson." Mrs. Clara chided filling up Nicco's glass with water while Nicco didn't care to answer back. "But I'm rather furious on you for turning up this way just because a girl left you." Mrs. Jones added, smacking his shoulder.

My limbs shivered at the conversation going on. I want to tell them that I didn't want to make my Nicco this way but it seems like I can never tell them that with the cold shoulder Nicco is giving me.

Partly I'm happy to see him again but partly I'm worried for him. Of all the things, I did not expect Nicco to become a drunkard and senseless for such a long period just because I left him. I'm not a ridiculous person; I know what place I hold in his life. I know how much he loves me and how much I mattered him.