Chapter 14

Bright and early the next morning, the Skovgaard's began loading their luggage up into the ship. As the servants helped them with that, Elsa, Conrad, Anna, Kristoff, Kai, and Gerda all watched as the guards escorted Edvard to the ship.

Conrad stood by his parents and siblings watching the young man being escorted down the docks. He asked them to stop so he could give Edvard one final "f- you". But before he could, Edvard made his glance towards Signe.

"Princess-" She glared at him, fire in her eyes.

"Don't even try, Edvard. You betrayed my big brother. You're lucky you're going to prison, otherwise, I'd give you my fist." The princess raised her fist to complete her message. Her brothers didn't even say anything, knowing her feistiness.

Oliver and Tobias both sent a glare that said the same thing. "Mess with our brother and you mess with us".

With that, Edvard disappeared below the hull of the ship.

"Well, hopefully he won't try to cause trouble on our way back." Gerhard said.

"I hope so." Conrad sighed, still feeling hurt that his best friend for nearly two decades had done this to him.

"We'll be alright." Magda said. She turned to her son, cradling his face in her hands gently, "we love you very much. And let us know if there is anything we can do for you both in the future." Magda said to both her son and Elsa. Elsa hugged the older queen.

"Thank you, Magda. Thank all of you, I couldn't be more grateful. Please send a letter regarding Edvard soon."

"We absolutely will." Gerhard replied. After saying their goodbyes, the Skovgaard's boarded their ship and waved goodbye as they sailed away. Conrad and Elsa stood together on the dock watching the boat sail off into the fjord until it could no longer be seen. Conrad sighed.

"Well... we won't have to worry about him anymore." He said. Elsa placed a hand on his shoulder.

"We'll be alright. Come, let's head back to the castle." She held out her hand for him, and he took it, following her back. As they made their way back to the castle, he felt the gazes of the Arendellians on him, he hoped that they still liked him despite what had occurred days prior. He decided to not let that worry him right now.

That evening, Conrad joined Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, Olaf and Sven in the library, to relax and unwind after the past two chaotic weeks. Anna and Elsa were both attentive to a book Anna found, Kristoff was playing his lute, and Olaf was playing with Sven, while trying to avoid the fireplace. It was peaceful, and Conrad felt himself becoming used to this new environment.

He decided to pick out a book to read for a little while before heading to bed. As he read, he found himself more or less distracted by Anna and Elsa giggling about something. Out the window, something caught his eye. The northern lights.

The shimmering blue and green ribbons danced across the night sky, casting a beautiful glow over the cliffs and mountains in the distance. He'd seen the northern lights maybe once or twice in his life back in Denmark before coming here. He'd never imagined they'd be so much prettier further north.

As much as he loved his home country, there was something special about Norway. Between the landscape, and the people, it was certainly magical.

"Conrad?" Elsa interrupted his train of thought. He turned to her, "you alright?" She asked. He sat up straighter and nodded.

"Oh, yes I am. Just got caught up admiring the sky outside." Elsa smiled and looked out the window, the northern lights still dancing. She smiled.

"When Anna and I were little, she used to say "the sky is awake" whenever the northern lights appeared." Conrad chuckled and glanced over at the princess who perked up hearing her name.

"I still say that sometimes!" She said earnestly. Elsa laughed.

"Yes you do."

"Do you see the northern lights in Denmark?" Anna asked. Conrad shrugged.

"I think I've seen them back home maybe once or twice in my life. They're very rare to see that far south." He replied.

"Oh, I can't imagine that." Anna said, lounging across one of the lounge couches Kristoff was on.

"To be fair, I have seen a couple of meteor showers. Those were always fascinating to watch. Tobias especially always loved watching the night sky."

"He enjoys astronomy?"

"Definitely, since he was very young. Our parents got him any kind of book about astronomy so he could keep up to date. Even now he's still heavily focused in that field of interest."

"What about Oliver and Signe?" Kristoff asked.

"Since Oliver is second in line, he and I received the same kind of education from our father. How to run a kingdom, set up alliances, how to help citizens, and all that. Signe on the other hand is definitely more of a free going spirit. She doesn't have the same kind of expectations about being queen anytime soon, so she's mostly dedicated her free time to exploring the world outside Hjallanes. She's pretty much an expert in horseback riding, and thanks to myself, our brothers, and our father, she's very skilled in swordfighting." Anna grinned.

"Girl after my own heart." She laughed.

"She's very free spirited, and has lots of opinions. I've heard her get into arguments with some of our family's advisors over random things." Elsa chuckled.

"Younger siblings tend to be more expressive in their opinions." Anna grinned proudly. Conrad agreed, he had been getting along very well with Anna since coming here, as she reminded him of his sister, and that had been proven when the two young women met.

Conrad and Kristoff got along pretty well too, even if they didn't interact as much, but Conrad liked him. The ice harvester was friendly, open minded, and always had something interesting to talk about.

And of course there was Elsa. He and Elsa already knew exactly how they felt about each other, and those close to them could see their connection. And after having encouragement from Anna, his siblings and his parents, and even Kai at one point, Conrad hoped to make a move soon. Maybe before or after the upcoming Christmas holiday. He could wait and see then. No one was in any rush.