Chapter 6

After getting dressed, Elsa made her way to the front hall where she saw Conrad and Edvard waiting, both of them dressed well.

Conrad's tunic was black this time, with deep teal lining and dark gold embroidery. His epaulets were dark gold as well, and his boots had been shined. He looked incredibly handsome. The two shared a smile and nodded to each other.

Elsa had a stunning deep purple dress with large leaf-like designs over a deep pink underskirt. Over it, a sheer overskirt of glittering ice faded into her shoulders and down her arms to her wrists. The sleeves were covered with leaf designs too, shimmering in a duo chrome look of purple and red. Her hair was done up with a braid over her head into a french braid, her tiara nestled atop her head. Waving her hand, she touched up the decor with a touch of ice and frost.

"Wow... you, look stunning, Elsa." Conrad said. Elsa approached him and readjusted a medal

on his chest with a smile.

"Thank you, Conrad, you look wonderful yourself." The two stopped to look at each other a little longer, their gaze locked onto each other's eyes...

"Elsa?" Anna interrupted. Elsa blinked, cleared her throat and turned to the doors.

"Oh, yes." Elsa opened the doors to see the villagers outside in the courtyard, all dressed for the festival.

"Let us ring in the season of change, and thank each other for an excellent harvest this year, we are grateful to have each other. And let us thank our guests from Hjallanes for helping us prepare for this wonderful festival. Happy Autumn!" Elsa and Anna rang the bell, the same one they used to ring in the Christmas season as children; their first Christmas together since Elsa's coronation would be coming up very soon, earning cheers from the villagers. As the villagers dispersed to go celebrate, Anna gestured for Elsa to go join Conrad's side.

"Go be with him, I've got Kristoff." Before Elsa could say anything, Anna had already pushed Elsa to Conrad.

"She's so pushy sometimes." Elsa laughed nervously. Conrad chuckled.

"That's how sisters are."

"Indeed..." Conrad had let his advisor go out and socialize, so it really was just the two of them together.

"How are you with crowds?" Elsa asked him after a long pause. Conrad shrugged.

"I'm pretty good with them, I get tired fast depending on how lively the party is." He replied, "not feeling up for socialization?"

"I've never been the best with crowds, but I've been getting better thanks to Anna."

"You have Anna to thank for a lot of things, don't you?" Elsa nodded.

"I do, like I've said before, she's done a lot to help me get out of my shell, and being queen I need to be able to socialize with my subjects."

"Burden of being the heir," Conrad said. Elsa looked up at him.

"Will you be coronated soon?" Conrad sighed, thinking to what his parents and their advisors had told him when he was 18.

"When I was 18, I was told that if I hadn't courted a queen or a princess before my 25th birthday, I would be coronated king."

"That's interesting. I've never heard that before. I guess your kingdom has a different coming of age?"

"I would guess so, you were 21 when you were coronated?" Elsa nodded.

"I was. And I was terrified. I didn't think I was ready to be queen yet, but... I had to be there for Anna, and Arendelle. But now I feel more confident about my strength. Are you nervous about stepping into that kind of role?"

"I mean, who isn't? You could be preparing for your coronation all your life, but when the day comes, it all kind of hits you differently, you know?"

"Oh, yes, absolutely. But you seem to take your duties responsibly, you will make a great king one day." She complimented honestly, she saw him blush a little.

"You think so?"

"Absolutely. I see it in you, you hold yourself well, you're smart, and you can negotiate well, and you appear to get along well with new people."

"Well, thank you, Elsa. That's very kind of you."

"I do try." They shared a smile again. While they looked at each other, some villagers started some lively dancing music, encouraging villagers to start a traditional dance. Laughter and music filled the air, giving a new, warm, welcoming vibe. Conrad saw an opportunity and held out his hand for Elsa.

"Elsa? Would you like to dance with me?" She looked at him surprised but then smiled.

"I would love to." He took her delicate hand into his and wrapped his other around her waist, pulling her close against him.

Elsa had said before she didn't dance, but... she gave in for Conrad. And he was an excellent dancer. He'd clearly practiced well. He spun her around gracefully and she saw Anna absolutely grinning like a fool, she and Kristoff giving them two thumbs up each.

Elsa fell into the music. The drums, the violins, lutes... it was magical. She'd never felt this way before, then again, she'd never danced with a guest before. And it was clear now that this guest was different. And it seemed like Arendelle could see it too. From where she and Kristoff were, Anna heard some villagers whispering about Elsa and Conrad's interactions.

"I've never seen the queen dance with a prince before."

"No less like that."

"It's so graceful, like they know what the other is thinking!" Anna could've guessed that. But she was happy for her sister. She watched the two dance together, she'd never seen Elsa so happy, so free.

"They like each other for sure," Kristoff said. Anna looked down at Olaf, the snowman had interacted with Conrad several times during his time here, but the snowman enjoyed wandering around Arendelle by himself, so he wasn't always in the palace with the sisters.

"Olaf? What do you think?" The snowman chortled.

"I like him! And I think Elsa really really likes him! I think she should ask him to stay here!" Anna giggled. Olaf had a childlike innocence, he also had childlike honesty too. She didn't want to push anything, she hoped the relationship would blossom on its own, and perhaps Elsa could find her match in Conrad.

During all of this, Conrad had completely forgotten about what Grand Pabbie had warned him about, and he'd forgotten about his suspicions about Edvard. He'd been swept in Elsa's grace and beauty, he couldn't help it. Was he in love? Perhaps not, but he felt a strong attraction to the snow queen.

After their dance, a few village children came up to Elsa to ask her to put on a show for the village. With a smile, Elsa, of course, complied, following the children to the center of the courtyard. She lifted her dress, touching her toes to the ground, sending a pattern spreading across the ground. Conrad watched in wonder as Elsa dazzled the crowd with her incredible abilities.

Meanwhile, Edvard watched the scene as well. Like everyone else, he was impressed with the queen and her abilities, but he saw how Conrad looked at her, a smitten man. While everyone was distracted, Edvard slipped into the castle unnoticed to get back to paperwork and get his plans finished.

He could get so much accomplished with Conrad distracted.