Chapter 10

Conrad was the first to notice Arendelle felt strange as they made their way through the cobblestone streets. He looked over at Elsa, who had sensed it as well, she didn't get cold, but she pulled her cloak around her shoulders.

"It doesn't feel right..." The villagers all looked uneasy as the pair made their way through town, and when asked, they pointed in the direction of the castle.

"You're right. It doesn't." She kicked her horse and the pair galloped straight for the castle. The two guards there perked up seeing the queen and her company approach.

"Your majesty!" One of the guards exclaimed.

"What's going on?"

"Please, follow me..." The guard whispered, gesturing for his fellow man to follow, pulling the two along behind them. Confused, they did so, making their way through the dark corridors of the castle.

"I've never seen Arendelle or the guards like this before," Elsa said. The guard led them through a secret door in the meeting room and led them to the ballroom.

"What could have possibly happened while we were gone?" Conrad asked, not really expecting an answer, yet. The two made their way down to the ballroom, anxiety building up in the pits of their stomachs as they pushed the doors open. They were shocked to see Edvard waiting by the throne patiently.

"Edvard." Conrad hissed, drawing his sword, holding his hand out in front of Elsa instinctually even though he knew she could take care of herself just fine.

"Where's my sister and Kristoff?" Elsa demanded, holding her hands out.

"They're safe, along with the reindeer and that annoying snowman. I've been waiting for you both to come back, though." Conrad glared at his advisor, who, if he didn't explain himself immediately, was going to no longer be an advisor, or a friend anymore.

"What is the meaning of this, Edvard?" Edvard stepped down and walked towards them with a glint in his eye.

"You were too distracted to notice or even care what I was up to in personal business dealings. And frankly, I'd been hoping for that."

"What are you talking about?"

"You see, Conrad. Us having grown up together, becoming childhood best friends, I was your father's ward, I learned all of your family's secrets. And I've been using those secrets for years. And I know you don't know where I came from, well, let me tell you, I was born in the Southern Isles. My father pledged loyalty to the king there, but my mother didn't. My entire life, I've been the messenger between them, their little pawn to get back at each other." Edvard's parents hated each other, and them both being spies for different kingdoms felt that using their son was a great way to get back at each other for past heartbreak and anger.

"Edvard-" Edvard pulled out his own sword and faced Conrad.

"No, you listen to me. I got to know Prince Hans, I know what he did to this kingdom, and quite frankly, I'm perfectly fine with taking down the both of you to allow Hans to get what he deserves, 13th in line."

"This is ridiculous!" Elsa exclaimed, "you couldn't possibly have your logic that twisted! Hans has been paying for his crimes against Arendelle for nearly a year, he's not leaving the Southern Isles anytime soon."

"Edvard, enough of this. I don't know what happened in your life that caused any of what happened to make sense in your mind-"

"Your family got my mother killed."

"What?"

"Your parents found out that she was passing along information about your family to me and then to the Southern Isles. They had her executed." Spying was certainly a death sentence if caught. Conrad could never have guessed, or known that his childhood best friend, and eventual advisor, was the son of a spy, and had become one himself, and was using this trip for personal gain and power, trying to pass it along to someone already paying from crimes against the crown.

"This makes no sense, Edvard. Stand down, and we'll discuss it." Conrad said, lowering his sword, trying to reason with him.

While he did this, Elsa realized that the few days they were gone, Edvard had made his move, using the authority he had to scare the guards and the villagers. She wasn't sure what he'd done, but it didn't really matter. She needed to find her sister, Kristoff, Sven, and Olaf and make sure they weren't hurt.

Conrad quickly gave her a gesture that told her to go while he handled Edvard, she nodded and ran out of the ballroom, finding Anna, Kristoff, Sven, and Olaf in Anna's bedroom.

"Elsa!" Anna exclaimed, running into her sister's arms.

"What happened?" The group made their way back to the ballroom, Anna explaining what Edvard had done while they were gone, and upon entering the ballrom, a horrific sight lay before them. Conrad on his hand and knees, bleeding profusely from his abdomen, holding it with his free hand, and Edvard standing above him holding his bloodied sword, fury alight in his eyes.

"Conrad!!!!" Elsa screamed, blasting Edvard with ice and then running to Conrad's side.

"Conrad... no no... no, you're okay, keep your eyes open..." He looked up at her as she rested him on her lap, "you're okay, keep your eyes on me. Anna! Kristoff! Go get help! Someone send for the guards!" Elsa's panic grew a thin wall of ice surrounding her and Conrad, who weakly took her hand in his over his chest. He tried to speak, but Elsa gently shushed him.

"No... don't try to speak, you're going to be okay... hold on..." She whispered comforting words to him. Several guards came running, being directed by Anna and Kristoff to release Edvard from his icy hold to the floor. Once they freed him, they looked to their queen, who looked up at them tearfully. She stared hard at Edvard.

"Take him away. I will deal with him later." The guards nodded and dragged the advisor away, who didn't even bother fighting back. As they left, Anna and Kristoff came to Elsa's side.

"Is he okay...?" Anna asked quietly. Elsa fought back tears.

"Edvard stabbed him... he's alive..." She caressed his cheek, pursing her lips. Everything had happened so fast... and she feared she'd lose him if he didn't get help soon. Anna stayed with Elsa while Kristoff went to go get Kai and find the royal physician as soon as possible.

"He didn't deserve this..." Elsa said, wiping away a tear. Anna hugged her sister.

"He's alive, that's what matters, he's going to be okay."

"Your majesty!" Kai and Gerda's voices echoed through the ballroom as they made their way to them.

"Oh goodness..." Gerda gasped.

"Edvard did this. The guards have taken him to the prison." Anna said. The physician kneeled down next to the prince and quickly determined that he would be alright as long as they moved him quickly and dressed the wound as soon as possible. Elsa stood and helped them take Conrad to the guest room.

She let them do what was necessary while she and Anna stayed in the library waiting. Olaf looked up at Elsa, seeing her worried face as she looked out the window.

"Elsa?" He gently tugged her dress, and she looked down at him, "is... Conrad going to be okay?" Elsa smiled sadly.

"Of course he will, Olaf, he's strong." It felt more like she was trying to reassure herself rather than Olaf.