Chapter 5

Just like Elsa promised, she, Anna, Conrad, and Kristoff all kept an eye on Edvard for the next couple days leading to the fall festivities. Edvard didn't seem to act strange for the most part, maybe a bit overpolite, but Conrad said he was usually like that anyway.

Conrad himself seemed to be a lot calmer now, but he was very situationally aware and cautious. He knew Grand Pabbie didn't say it outright, but he knew the troll had been leaning towards the possibility of him being betrayed by someone he trusted. Conrad felt Elsa didn't take it seriously enough, but then again, she shouldn't have to. If this was a personal situation for Conrad, then it was something he had to deal with, he didn't want Elsa to deal with an issue like this.

The day the fall festivities were underway, Conrad was surprised to get a letter back from his parents he'd sent earlier in the week.

"We've had fair winds this week." The captain of the ship told him. With a smile, Conrad went to his room to read the letter.

It was his mother's handwriting.

My dear Conrad,

We were delighted to get your letter so early. We are grateful to hear the negotiations are going smoothly with the queen.

We must inform you that we have been getting letters from the Southern Isles recently up to and after your departure to Arendelle. They are requesting to renegotiate trade between our kingdoms again. We would like to put such negotiations on hold until you and Edvard return home. Do not worry about us, we will be alright.

She went on to talk about other things going on back in Hjallanes and the like, what his brothers and sister were up to and such.

He felt a little better knowing his family would be okay. But he decided he didn't want to tell Elsa about the development between Hjallanes and the Southern Isles. Today was supposed to be a fun day for Arendelle, and he didn't want to make anyone worry.

He decided as well that he'd wait for the celebrations to be over before he sent another letter home.

***

Meanwhile, Elsa had many things running through her mind as well. Thoughts about what the trolls had said, and how she was feeling about Conrad. Anna came into her room surprisingly early for her.

"Anna, you're up early! And you look wonderful!" The princess twirled around in her new dress. A soft olive and sage green, decorated with floral and leaf embroidery all over the hem of the dress and at the waist. Much like her springtime dress, she had a short-sleeve shirt with a black bodice that had deep pink, purple and glittering gold embroidery all over the front, with a matching sleeveless vest of olive and sage green, with gold and deep pink embroidered vines and flowers on the edges. Her hair was done up in its classic twisted bun and milkmaid braid over her head. She'd plucked some flowers and placed them into her hair, tying the whole look together.

"Thanks! I was so excited for today I had to get up early! I can't wait to see your dress! And I can't wait to see Conrad's face when he sees you!" Elsa gave Anna a surprised, yet slightly amused face.

"You really think he'll like it?" Anna nodded eagerly.

"Duh, of course he will! I've seen the way he looks at you, he's really into you." Elsa rolled her eyes as she brushed her hair.

"I trust your judgment."

***

Conrad finished buttoning up his tunic when Edvard entered his room.

"Good morning, sir." The advisor greeted with a smile.

"You're in a good mood today," Conrad remarked, not entirely in the mood to talk to his advisor.

"It's going to be a busy day for the kingdom, with the festivities underway. It'll be quite fun to join in, won't you say?" Conrad turned to him.

"That right?" Edvard nodded.

"Business matters are taking the day off, so I am as well." Conrad couldn't help but smile a little bit.

"Fair enough."

Gerda entered.

"Good morning gentlemen, breakfast will be served soon, then the queen expects you both in the courtyard at 9:00." Conrad nodded.

"Thank you, Gerda, we'll be there." Edvard left to his room to go get ready himself. He hoped Conrad hadn't noticed the extra personal business dealings he'd been working on with the Southern Isles... He had his reasons...