3. The Act.

Katrina

10:28am

'Without struggle, their is no progress.' Fredrick Douglas

"Since everyone had their Student Guidelines signed and turned in on time, I'm going to hold off until next week for the Poetry unit to begin

"Since everyone had their Student Guidelines signed and turned in on time, I'm going to hold off until next week for the Poetry unit to begin. For the rest of this week, you all can just chill out for the whole period, don't do anything stupid to change my mind. I have board and card games set out for anyone who wants to play, all I ask is for you to put them back how you found them, or you can listen to your ManWalkers or WalkingMen, or whatever you call them, just make sure their not to loud, alright?" my English teacher, Mr.Grey announced to the whole class. A few students replied with a 'yes' or 'okay', one boy corrected him on his wrong pronunciation of Walkman, Mr.Grey only rolled his eyes before residing behind his desk to continue reading his newspaper.

My eyes scanned around the full classroom of students that were talking to one another at a decent volume, a group playing a game of UNO and two people playing the board game, Life. Turning back around, I placed my pencil in my back pocket since I wouldn't be using it for the next forty-five minutes. Grabbing my Walkman from my hip, I played back the cassette I was listening to on my way from school, hitting play, I snapped the device back on my hip before tuning out everyone in the room to concentrate on the driving beat of the drum and began to picture the choreography that I wanted to go with this song.

My head bobbed to the beat as I thought about possibly incorporating a jazz element before the chorus came in. My focus on Jody Watley's voice broke when I felt a light thump on my right shoulder, removing my headphones from off my head, I placed them around my neck, I hesitantly turned around to face a smiling Journey who seemed to have switched chairs with the person who was previously beside me because she was sitting on the other side of the class when I walked it, "Sorry to disturb you from your jam session Katrina, is it okay if I ask you a question real quick?" she questioned, placing a piece of her brown, stray hair behind her left ear.

"You good, what's up?" I fully turned around to face her, "Where you the one who choreographed that routine to River Deep Mountain High by Tina Turner for the Black History Month showcase last school year? Cause if you did, I just wanna say it was all that, to incorporate jazz, ballet and tap into one dance is amazing. In other words, that shit was dope." she praised me with a grin on her face.

Her words made me smile, "Thanks Journey, I really appreciate that. I did do that routine, actually, I choreographed every dance section for the show." I mentioned.

"No way. Really?" I nodded to her question, "Even the Thriller routine? The way you put your own spin on the iconic dance was slammin'. You got me liking your version better than Mike's." she cackled and I joined along with her, I don't know if she was joking or being serious. "Oh please, I'm nowhere near Michael's level, but it's nice to have someone think so." I cheesed.