40. War of Hearts.

Elijah.

6:22pm

"You can place the crate next to the speakers while I grab the turntables

"You can place the crate next to the speakers while I grab the turntables." I say to Derrick before I walk to my car to grab said turntables.

I come back placing them carefully on the stand, my eyes scan through the three crates of records for the hundredth time, making sure everything I need is there.

"So, what're you gonna play to get the party jumping?" Derrick questions, sipping on his second Bud Light of the night so far.

I shrug, "Not sure. I have to sense the vibe before anything, it depends on what mood I'm in too. I can go from Madonna to Public Enemy like that." I snap my fingers. "But, I know better to not play them in this type of crowd." I hope he caught on to my insinuating words.

He nods, "Oh, I gotcha. White people. I understand dude, keeping it safe is the best way to go."

I met Derrick through Zach at one of the local University parties. Derrick's a 6'3, white, junior in college, he's a jock but not the asshole kind, he's cool.

Me and Zach talked loosely about my DJ experience in the past, I wouldn't think he put in a good word for me. For the past two weeks, I've been getting gigs to DJ at these majority white universities.

Physical therapy is what helped me get to where I am now, the time and dedication I put in led me to a speedy recovery. Loosing the sling made me feel like myself again, I'm thankful to be where I am and doing what I enjoy.

After successfully setting up my area, I maneuvered through the two story house, passing through many tables with various types of alcohol displayed on it, a beer pong table and many snacks.

Passing all of that, I go to the white fridge for a water bottle.

"Elijah, is that you?" a bubbly feminine voice says, I hear the skipping of her feet stop just as I close the door of the fridge.

I turn my head to face a familiar rosy cheek blonde with her hands behind her back. "It is you! How're ya?"

Opening the bottle, I take a sip, "Sup Stacey. I'm chilling, when did you get here?"

"Not too long ago. I asked Derrick where you were and he said that you should be around." she giggles, fixing the short, tight, lavender cardigan covering her. The top two buttons aren't buttoned, showing the top of her cleavage. She points her chest out as she tucks her teased hair behind her ear.

She's trying too hard.

"You were looking for me, huh?" my wondering eyes scan her body as I step towards her, only to be amused.