The Chase [27]

A/N: buckle up this is aNgsTy

Trigger warning: suicidal references/threats

Peter's POV:

I sighed as we walked, feeling a bit tired. Wade must've recognized it, since we stopped to take a break on a bench. Harley looked over at my wrist in confusion. I raised an eyebrow, then realized he was staring at the black band with a red light on it.

Wade saw it too. "Oh yeah, Peter and I have trackers on us from when we went exploring in the destroyed part of New York," He explained to Harley. He rolled up his sleeve to reveal that he had a black band as well. There was a thicker part of the band, where it was plastic and there were more lights. I knew that if we wanted to we could break the tracker, but I sort of liked the comfort of it.

"Doesn't that mean they know our location?" Harley asked us with worry.

Wade rolled his eyes. "If they didn't want us to go, they would've stopped us at the building. Besides, they'd be able to find us anyways, so it's no use," He pointed out to his friend.

Suddenly I heard iron man's blasters. I wasn't the only one who heard. "SPLIT UP!" Wade ordered, then took off running down the sidewalk and into the crowd. I froze up, watching as Harley raced in the other direction. Not really knowing where to go, I rushed into the nearby building.

My heart was pounding as I sprinted up the stairs, knowing better than to take the elevator. Then I realized something. What's the point of running if there's a tracker on me? I suddenly stopped in my tracks, slamming my wrist on the railing of the stairs, crushing the tracker in the black band. I kept knocking it, watching pieces fall off, until all the lights on the thing went out. Then I continued to run up the stairs.

Third Person POV:

"Cap, Buck, you go for Harley. Sam, Rhodey, you go for Wade. Nat and I will head for Peter," Tony ordered in his helmet, boosting towards the kids that split up. He saw Peter head into the building, so he followed him, watching the kid run up the stairs.

Suddenly, his location was no longer being shared. "Tony, where is he?" Natasha asked through their communication system. 

"I've got eyes," Stark replied, flying up the stairs after Peter. "Kid!" He called through the outside speakers on his suit. "Come back, we need to talk!"

A chair suddenly came flying down the stairs, Ironman barely dodging the object. Tony groaned, boosting up the stairs.

Sam's POV:

This bitchass is still running, I thought to myself as I flew in Wade's direction. I couldn't fire anything at him since he was in a crowd, but I definitely wasn't losing eyes on him. Rhodey was to the left of me, doing the same thing.

Finally Wade dove out of the crowd, into an alleyway, sprinting like no tomorrow. I fired a net out of my suit which flew down and trapped the kid to the ground. He let out a grunt. I landed on the ground next to him. "You okay kid?" I asked him.

"Fuck you," Wade breathed in response. Rhodes began to take the net off of him, in which Wade dove out for an attempt to escape. I tackled him to the ground. "Let go of me!" He ordered, squirming underneath me.

I pinned him so his chest was to the ground, his hands behind his back. "Careful, his heart rate is pretty high," Rhodey warned, probably seeing the vitals from Wade's tracker. 

"Calm... the fuck... down," I ordered aggressively. "You ain't gettin' no where huffin' and puffin' like that. Relax." Wade bit his lip, but eventually his heavy breathing slowed, and I felt the muscles in his body become less tense.

"Good. That wasn't so hard, was it?"

Tony's POV:

When I made it to where Peter was, the kid had already ran out through a door. I rolled my eyes, chasing him out, where I realized we were on a roof. "You've got no where to go, kid," I informed him, landing and watching him run.

Peter turned. "Leave me alone!" He screamed back. "You don't want us, so just let us be!" He sounded angry. It was the first time I have ever seen him so pissed off. But what worried me most, was the fact that Peter was backing up towards the edge of the building.

"Peter, please back away from the ledge!" I called in return. "I'm sending my location," I said inside my helmet to Natasha. Then I opened my suit up, stepping out of it.

"Take one more step towards me, and I'll jump!" Peter threatened, his voice cracking. I noticed that the kid's breathing started getting heavier and faster, scaring me.

"Now why would you do that?" I asked, but stopped in my tracks. I really didn't want to risk Peter jumping, especially when the other Avengers are busy.

Peter was crying at this point, practically sobbing. His sharp inhales made up for the heavy breathing he was missing when he sniffled. His cheeks were wet, his lips quivering. He looked like a mess. "Because I lost EVERYTHING!" He screamed, taking another step towards the edge. "I've never had much family! My parents died when I was six! Now, my aunt who's practically raised me is gone too!" He shouted. Peter began to rub his chest. "Then... when I finally thought I had a new family, you talk about us behind your back like we mean nothing to you! There's no hope for me!" He took another step towards the ledge.

"Peter, listen to me," I ordered in a steady voice. "You mean the world to us, to me. For a long time, I thought I was going to eventually give you into foster care, but now I realize that I'm meant to keep you."

Peter shook his head. "You're only saying that out of pity," He snapped, but he took a step away from the edge. I let out a quiet breath of relief. 

I shook my head. "Harley's aunt and uncle are going to take Harley and Wade in. Sophia is being sent to her distant cousins, and you... I'm adopting you Peter," I told him confidently.

"You mean that?" He asked in a small voice, sniffling after.

I nodded. "Come here, Peter," I told him softly.

The boy turned, looking over the edge, then he turned back towards me and began to slowly make his way beside me. I wrapped my hands around him and hugged the kid, pushing his hair back and kissing him at the top of his head. (IN A FATHER-SON WAY SMH)

"Let's go home."