Part Forty-Eight

"Do you think this dress is nice?" 

You stare at yourself in the mirror, taking in the dress Sven dropped off for you.

The dress was black, being made of just lace and translucent fabric. It hugs your body nicely, and flows out with a sheer fabric once it passes your hips. You find that the lace barely conceals your body, let alone your private areas. The back drops down low, you feel any sort of movement may show more than you would wish.

Solaris sits on the bed watching intently as you do a spin, feeling very exposed.

"It will be the most modest dress at the party" you watch her as a sweat drop forms down the back of your head.

"Great..." you mutter sarcastically as you strip the dress off your body, carefully placing it back in the protective bag it came in.

"Emi, don't worry so much, this is just an excuse for the Tchort' to keep an eye on the elite members of other clans." Solaris shows her dislike for the idea by crunching her perfect face, "But I can't help but enjoy a good party!" She smiles, looking guilty for her pleasures.

You laugh lightly as Avent strolls into the room, "And how are my two favorite girls doing?" you roll your eyes as Solaris smiles brightly as she always does.

"What do you want Avent?" 

You place the bag into your closet along with a box that holds the black mask that you'll be wearing that evening.

You thought the design was beautiful, as it swept down, almost like an intricate metal teardrop on one side, while the other has three thin silver chains that swoop under your orbital bone, instead of mimicking the full metal teardrop on the other side. The way the wire bends does nothing to hide your identity.

'It's unique, that's for sure.'

You focus your attention on Avent, "I was told to tell you that Hasten request your presence. Also Solaris, would you like to attend the banquet with me?"

She ponders the question, even placing her finger coyly to her lip, "Well, I guess since Emi is going with Rumor, I'll go with you." You find yourself chuckling over the terrible acceptance she gave him, "Sorry Solaris, you should have asked me first." She brushes you off with a graceful wave of her hand as you take your leave.

You are surprised Hasten would want to see you; he has not been in the best of moods lately. You've been trying to keep yourself preoccupied and distance yourself as much as possible.

Luckily, with all the buzz of the party, it has been easy to avoid him. You wonder down the halls, greeting your brother along the way.

You have been spending most of your time with him, feeling as if no time has passed between the two of you.

"Where are you off to?" he asks casually, "I'm on my way to see Hasten." He looks unhappy and shifts uncomfortably, "Do you want me to come with you?" You shake your head no, "It will probably be something simple." He nods his head, still looking bothered. You wave goodbye, promising to visit before the nights end.