Thirty-Five

Later, after Niall had left I was doing some homework when I got a call from Louis. “Hey,” I answered, moving the phone to hold between my cheek and my shoulder. “How did everything go?”

“So Liam and Zayn are dating. So much puppy love, I swear if that was ever us-”

“Babe, that's always us,” I said with a chuckle. 

I could feel Louis roll his eyes through the phone. “Either way, I talked to Liam.”

“How did that go? I asked, highlighting part of the text I was reading.

“Yeah, about that. He thinks we broke up because he had literally asked where my boyfriend was as soon as I walked in the door.”

“He's not gonna try to hook you up with anyone, is he?” I asked, grumbling to myself after making a random mark on the paper due to Louis’ news. “Cause I'm fine with him thinking that, as long as he isn't constantly-”

“I won't let him, Haz. Zayn already tried to do that and it did not end well. I wouldn't let it happen.” He paused for a second before asking, “What are you up to?”

“Just looking over some stuff we're doing in class on Monday, all the boring shit in life. What about you?” I rolled onto my back and looked up at the ceiling, grabbing my phone so my neck wouldn't get stiff.

“Heading back from Liam's. It's gonna be weird not having you over. You basically live at my house anymore.”

“Sure you aren't sick of me yet?” I asked in a playful tone. I sat up when I heard a cabinet in the kitchen slam and sighed to myself.

“Everything okay?” Louis asked.

“Yeah,” I said, hoping it would be a quiet night, but knowing I would be proven wrong in about five minutes. “Just the parentals.”

“Do I need to come get you?” Louis asked. “I'm not that far away.” I bit my lip as my dad's voice picked up, still muffled, but it must have been loud enough for Louis to hear because he said “I can be there in less than five minutes.”

“I think I'll be fine, Boobear. It's nothing new.” Same old argument, new day.

“If you're sure. But, I'm gonna stop and eat, and if you happen to want me to come get you…” He was smiling. The tone gave it away.

“Okay, Louis,” I laughed. I heard a crash and stopped laughing. “Hey, I'll call you in a minute.”

“Is everything actually okay?’ Louis asked, concern slipping into his tone.

“Yeah,” I said distractedly, standing up. “I just need to go check on something.”

“Promise me you'll call if anything happens, H.”

“Yeah, I promise. Don't freak out.” I walked to my door and put my hand on the handle.

“That's pretty hard when I know what they do when this happens,” Louis sighed. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” I said, then hung up and opened the door.

“You always do this!” My dad screamed.

“I always do what?” My mom yelled back in a venomous tone. 

I shook my head as I made my way to the kitchen. “Guys, don't do this,” I said, walking into the room. “All you fucking do is scream at each other, you bring me into the middle of it-”

“Stay the hell out of it, Harry,” my dad growled. “You're not involved in this.”

“Then why did I need to come back? Why the fuck couldn’t I just stay gone?” I snapped. “Was it just to have another argument over me? What about now?”