Chapter Four

"Mr. Styles, I need you to stay after class," Mr. Tomlinson spoke as I tried to inch my way out of class as the bell rang for the end of the day. I told Niall not to bother on waiting for me. He gave me a skeptical look but nodded anyways
    "Yes, Mr. Tomlinson?" I asked as I walked over to his desk, not making eye contact with him. I was exhausted and I knew he was just worried but that didn't make it any easier. On top of that, talking to him made me nervous. I still had that stupid crush on him.

Aren't most hot teachers unhot by like the second week, max? Isn't there supposed to be something that explain why they're single yet hot? Cause I've found no reason as to why he’s single.
    "Is everything okay, Harry? You're usually such a good student, but you haven't been turning anything in." He folded his hands and leaned forward on his desk.
    “It's nothing. I'm working on it,” I said quickly with a shrug, not looking up at him.
    "Home?” He asked. I didn't say anything so he asked the question again. “Are there problems at home?" I looked up at him, then back at his desk, biting my lip. “Harry, you can talk to me.”
    I didn't answer for a moment. Everyone has family issues. It doesn't make you special to have them. I took a deep breath and shrugged, picking at my jeans. "Yeah, but it's nothing. I shouldn't be distracted as much as I am.” I shrugged again, chewing on my lip.
    Mr. Tomlinson put his hand on my shoulder. "If you need to stay after school to do work, I'm always here. If you need someone to vent to, I'm here. I might be your instructor, but that doesn't mean I can't help you more outside class.”
    I nodded again, then looked up at Mr. Tomlinson. "Th-thanks," I said quickly before looking down again. "Erm, uh-"
    "Sit down, I'll stay until you're ready," he instructed with a small smile, moving to sit at his desk. I nodded and went to my own desk, sitting down and pulling out some work from my classes, glancing up at him every once in a while. I finished quite a few assignments that I needed to get done, and figured if I went to talk to my teachers about getting some of the assignments extended, I could get most of them turned in and I wouldn’t be failing most of my classes anymore. But that's only of they're willing to work with me.

After about an hour and a half, I called it good and started packing my things. Mr. Tomlinson had been on his phone for a while, which I took as a sign to hurry. I put my stuff away and stood up, thanking him before rushing out of the room. Once outside his room I took a deep breath, walking to my locker to throw anything I didn't need in there.

The next day, Niall ran up to me the second he saw me. “Hey, Tomlinson’s looking for you. Said he just needed to talk for a second. What the fuck did you do?”

“I don't know,” I said honestly with a shrug. “See you next hour?”

“I sadly can't keep up my ditching shenanigans, so yeah, I'll see you in in class.” He laughed and fist bumped me before taking off. I sighed and made my way to Tomlinson’s room.

I knocked on the door then stepped back and waited, biting my lip anxiously. A million things seemed to be swirling through my mind. Tomlinson opened the door and gave a small smile. “Hey,” he said.

“Hi,” I said back, looking around the room. “Niall said you were looking for me?”

“Yeah. I just wanted to let you know that if you honestly start to feel overwhelmed, you can come in anytime just to breathe.” He paused for a second. “My parents fought a lot, so I know that situations at home can get overwhelming, and I don't want you to bottle it all up until it just explodes out.”

How did he know it was my parents? Did he ask Niall? Would Niall tell him? I guess it didn't really matter, everyone has family issues.

I nodded, looking down. “Yeah, thanks.”

“I'm being serious. The only thing that got me through the rest of high school was one of my music teachers, and I was so thankful to have him there when I did start talking to him and taking advantage of what he was offering.” I nodded again, looking at him for a second as my heart rate sped up.

Stop reading into it. He is your history teacher, Harry. He is not an option for you to date. He is your teacher, I repeated to myself over and over. “Yeah, I'm definitely coming in after school again today if that's fine with you,” I said quietly. Teacher, teacher. Illegal. Very, very illegal.

“More than fine. Unless I say otherwise, I'll be here everyday. And you're the kind of kid who will actually use it and not just sit in here and talk with your friends.”

I smiled as I looked down. “Okay, cool. Thanks, Mr. Tomlinson.”

“No problem, Haz.”