Chapter Three

A few days later we had a test in history, and I groaned. I didn't understand any of it, and I just wrote down the very little I could actually remember. I waited until a few students turned their tests in before turning in mine. I put my head down and let out a long sigh, already knowing I failed the test. I closed my eyes and tried to let it go. I needed a new life, or a restart button for high school, at least.

Tomlinson was grading when I looked back up, making me shake my head. I prayed he wouldn't get to mine or that he wasn't going to say anything to begin with.

The moment the bell rang, I was gone. Didn't even bother waiting on Niall. Instead I walked home, stuffing my hands in my pockets as I walked. “You're sitting down and doing your work until your head hurts,” I told myself. “Then you're gonna keep going.”

That changed when I walked in the door of my house and my mom was yelling at my stepdad. I groaned and went straight to my room, not bothering to say anything to them. I didn't want to get pulled into another argument.

I pulled out my bag and attempted to do my work, biting on my pencil when I heard what they were saying. I moved my text book and closed my eyes, shaking my head until I heard a distinct clatter and thump. I shot up and ran from my room into the kitchen, pushing between the two bodies. My dad had gotten shoved to the floor and my mom was screaming. I pushed her back as he stood up, just for them to go back to the same position.

In between their yelling I tried my own. Anything just to get them to stop. Eventually I went back to my room and grabbed my stuff with tears streaming down my face. I threw everything angrily into the bag and then slammed the door on my way out. I had no idea what time it was, so I checked my phone and attempted to wipe the tears from my face.

“Fuck, how is it eleven already?” I grumbled to myself, taking a deep breath. I kept walking further from my house, just wanting their threats and screams to each other  out of my head. Each word probably hurt me more than the other.

I paused before knocking on Niall's door. It was late, not that the kid slept much. But on the off hand he was I didn't want to wake him up.

Before I could decide, the door swung open with Niall there. “What the hell are you doing out here?” he asked as he pulled me in the house. “Its like midnight, you know that?”

“Sorry, just my parents won't stop screaming and-”

He softened, shaking his head. “Its fine, H. Come on,” Niall said, cutting me off.. “I wasn't even asleep.”

“Thanks.”

He smiled and parted my shoulder. “No problem.”