Chapter Five

Niall plopped down at the lunch table. “When were you gonna tell me you were dubbed Tomlinson’s favorite?”

I raised an eyebrow, seeing down my slice of pizza. “I was dubbed Tomlinson’s… I don't even know when this happened.”

“Mhmm, I'm sure. Why don't you need rides anymore?” Niall asked while he put ketchup on his burger.

“Tomlinson has that weird licence that lets him drive students home,” I answered. “And my house is on the way to his,  so it's not out of his way or anything.”

“You know I don't mind, right?” Niall said without looking up. “Giving you rides is like my one purpose in life.”

I rolled my eyes and chuckled. “You know it's not.”

Niall opened his mouth to argue when a  group of three girls came up and sat down at our table, which Niall looked up at.  “Hey?”

All of them looked at me, which was a shocker. I was pretty low on the social radar even though Niall was pretty high. I just didn’t like going to parties and dealing with all the drama, so I was content. “How are you so close with Tomlinson?” One of them asked. Her name was Bethany or Brittney or something to that extent.

“What does that even mean?” I asked. “I'm a good student? I don't know. It doesn't even seem like I'm all that close with him to me.”

“You're joking, right?” Another one of the girls had asked. I didn't recognize her.  “He always has you doing things in class for him, he just likes you way better.”

“Why do you care?” I asked as I opened my water and took a drink.

“Have you ever seen him checking out students?”

I spit my water out as I choked.  “Are you fucking serious?” I asked while wiping up water.

“It's just a question. Don't die.” Brittney rolled her eyes before returning her gaze to me.

“That's some question,” Niall muttered, earning glares from all three. He just shrugged and went back to chewing on a fry.

“He's not gonna fuck a student,” I mumbled. “He's actually decent and not a perv or anything like that.”

“Come on. He's hot and everyone knows it. Even the guys agree,” the third girl chimed in. “He has to know that he is, and why wouldn't he use that to his advantage? It wouldn't make him a perv.” They all giggled and looked at each other like it was some game, or that it was cute or something.

“Because he's a decent fucking person, I don't know,” I snapped, standing up with my barely eaten pizza and walking away from the table. I heard a chair scrape across the floor, then Niall was walking next to me while I dumped my tray.

“I'm ditching to go get us decent food,” Niall said. “If class starts, I'll bring it to you.”

“What would I do without you?” I mumbled and he grinned.

“I don't know,” he replied, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. “But you probably would have starved without me.” We both started laughing as we walked out the cafeteria doors.