20 ║ FORGIVENESS IS HARD

❝The most important influence in my childhood was my father❞

DeForest Kelley

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"Here, papito."

Farkle smiled warmly at the nickname, it always made him happier whenever Elena called him that. He gave her a shy 'thank you' when she wrapped a blanket around him and handed him a mug of hot chocolate.

Elena wasn't surprised when she caught a glimpse of Farkle sitting out on her fire escape from her window. It was a normal occurrence for the Minkus boy to randomly climb up to her fire escape when he needed a shoulder to lean on, someone to talk to, or even just to sit with her. He always felt calmer in her presence, she gave him a sense of safety he didn't always get at home.

"So, what are we doing today?" She asked as she settled down beside him and she smiled softly when Farkle leaned his head against her arm.

She kissed the top of his head and wrapped her arm around him as she waited for him to decide. Sometimes he came over because he wanted to let out everything that he was thinking and other times he just wanted to think everything out with his head leaning against her. Either way, he just wanted to spend time with Elena, that always made him feel better.

"Mr. Matthews assigned us a forgiveness project this week," Farkle spoke after a moment of silence.

"Yeah, Cory told me about that," Elena didn't add on the fact that Maya had also come to her about that very same project just as Farkle was right now. She was glad Mr. Feeny had never forced them to do a forgiveness project, she was sure she would have failed.

"I'm scared," Farkle admitted quietly, "I don't want this to be my first F."

"Why do you think you're going to fail, papito?" She asked as she moved to play with his hair comfortingly, "You know you're smarter than your teachers, right? Cory's actually afraid for you."

"I know, he's told me more than once," He let out a small chuckle before his expression turned serious. He took in a shaky breath, "I just, I don't think I can do the project."

Elena nodded silently, she knew that feeling more than anyone else. Everyone always told her she held grudges for too long and she knew she had issues with forgiving people. It was hard for her to forget the hurt which made it hard for her to forgive. She wasn't good with apologies, not at giving them or receiving them. She just hated apologies in general. Apologies meant talking about feelings and talking about feelings meant dealing with them instead of ignoring them.

"They're getting worse," Farkle's words hang in the air, he doesn't have to tell her who he's talking about. And Elena doesn't miss how he grabs her hand tightly, "I don't think I can forgive them."

"But that's not what you're upset about," Elena pointed out smartly, "You're not upset because you're scared you're going to get an F, it's something else."