7│LENA THE LADYBUG

❝Among my stillness was a pounding heart❞

Shannon A. Thompson

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

Elena grimaced as she watched Shawn and Cory drop snails into the bag she was holding, while Mr. Feeny tended to his garden.

She held the bag as far away from her as possible.

"Hey guys. Collecting snails?" Alan asked as he walked over to them.

"Yeah," Cory nodded, "Mr. Feeny said we can take 'em off his flowers and use them for bait for when we all go fishing Sunday."

"Fish don't eat snails," Alan told the three as he looked over at Mr. Feeny, who was smiling sheepishly.

And with that Elena immediately dropped the bag full of snails.

"Gee, I guess I was mistaken."

"Well, whenever you guys are ready, the bass master here is all set to pass on to the younger generation some of the finer points of spin casting," Alan held up his fishing pole.

"Manipulating young and impressionable minds," Cory handed Mr. Feeny the bag, "I hope you're proud of yourself, Mr. Feeny."

"Indeed, I am Mr. Matthews," Mr. Feeny smiled before he turned back to his roses.

"Come on, guys," Alan called.

Cory jumped over the fence and Shawn followed before the two held out their arms to steady Elena as she climbed over the fence.

"Now," Alan began, "The main thing to remember is that basically it's a simple flick of the wrist. You open the bail, hold the line with your finger, and then it's 2 o'clock, 10 o'clock."

The three of them watched Alan demonstrate the motion until he'd accidentally swung to far back and hooked one of Mr. Feeny's pots and pulled it to the ground.

"Kind of a quarter after 3:00 thing you got going on there Dad, huh?" Cory joked and Alan smiled sheepishly.

"May a fellow angler try his luck?" Mr. Feeny asked as he walked over to Alan.

"Be my guest, George," Alan said as he handed Mr. Feeny the fishing pole.

Mr. Feeny played with the fishing pole before he swung it, the hook landing perfectly inside a bucket on the other side of the fence.

"It's like getting back on a bicycle; one never forgets." Mr. Feeny smiled.

"You fish, Mr. Feeny?" Elena asked.

"Oh, sure, I'm an old bass hog from way back. I'll never forget that September morn, 1956..."

"Oh no, he thinks this is History class. Somebody stop him!" Shawn groaned as Elena laughed.