7│HERE TODAY, GONE TOMORROW

❝Oh, a simple complicationMiscommunications lead to falloutSo many things that I wish you knewSo many walls up, I can't break through❞The Story of Us | Taylor Swift

Miscommunications lead to fallout
So many things that I wish you knew
So many walls up, I can't break through❞
The Story of Us | Taylor Swift

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"My mom named my dog Abuelita so she wouldn't be lying when she said I was with Abuelita when people asked," Elena said casually in response to Beau's warm and bright story about all the animals on his family's farm back in Texas.

Beau paused, not knowing how to reply and weirded out by her nonchalance. "...Uh, well, do you still have the dog?"

"After a week of living with my mom, he pulled the car over and put us out on the side of the road," She chuckled dryly, not realizing Beau wasn't accustomed to her blasè take on her relationship, if it could even be called that, with her mother like everyone else was.

His eyes widened in shock. "She got rid of it?"

Elena sighed, sensing the sympathy in his voice. "Look, pets are not my thing, okay? I already have something needy and fluffy that'll die if I don't take care of it- Cory. Look, how about you just pretend to take a really long sip of your drink when you're actually trying to think of something else to talk about. And I'll pretend I don't know that's what you're doing."

"Yes, ma'am," He said with a nod of his head, making her chuckle.

Beau was about to take a sip of his drink before he noticed Elena was watching him with a smile. He smiled back warmly before he froze, the glass almost to his lips. "Wait... Did you poison this?"

She chuckled and teasingly shrugged. "Guess we'll have to wait and find out."

He gave her a look but he couldn't hide the smile growing on his face at her antics. With an exaggerated deep breath, he took a large gulp of the drink before he paused and clutched his heart dramatically. He let out a garbled yelp before face-planting the table, dead.

"You should stick to do-si-doing and cow pageants, Hopalong. Acting's really not your thing."

Beau lifted his head off the table and gave her an offended look. "Oh, like you're winning an Oscar any time soon," He scoffed.

"I might," She countered with a smirk, "With the way I'm pretending I'm enjoying this date, I'm giving Susan Sarandon a run for her money."

"Hey!" Beau complained with a pout.

"Awe, poor cowboy's got the blues," She cooed, "How about we go try to find you a cow to tip, bet that'll cheer you right up."

Beau couldn't help but laugh, only Elena could make someone happy to be made fun of. He paused for a moment before giving her a sly smile. "You said date."

Her brows furrowed. "What?"

"You said you were pretending to enjoy this date," He emphasized with a wide smirk, "You think this is a date or you want it to be."