14│MOSIAC BROKEN HEARTS

❝So you were never a saintAnd I've loved in shades of wrongWe learn to live with the painMosaic broken heartsBut this love is brave and wild❞

And I've loved in shades of wrong
We learn to live with the pain
Mosaic broken hearts
But this love is brave and wild❞

State of Grace | Taylor Swift

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"You got a new locker, Topanga?" Elena asked as she saw Topanga putting photos up and decorating a locker.

"I had to since you got mine refrigerated for your beverages," Topanga reminded her.

Elena's eyes brightened and she grinned. "Oh, good! And this one can be a freezer for my ice cream. I'll call Bob, see how fast we can get it installed."

Before they could continue discussing their plans for this new locker, they heard Cory and Shawn arguing from across the hall.

"Shawn, listen," Cory exclaimed as Shawn walked away from him, "You think I like myself like this? I don't, okay. I don't blame everyone for not wanting to be around me. I don't wanna be around me, either. I'm done with me."

Elena frowned. "As much as I wanna punch him for what he did, I feel bad for the guy. He has the same look in his eyes like when I'm eating Haagen-Dazs and my spoon hits the cardboard."

Topanga wasn't happy seeing him like this either but she didn't say anything. After all, the reason he was like this was his own fault and she was hurting too. She also knew that Elena was in a tough spot being in the middle of a breakup between her two best friends.

Elena sighed and turned to Topanga, who already had a knowing look on her face. "I gotta go see what's wrong with my chia pet. Make some smartass comments in Mr. Turner's class for me so he doesn't realize I'm not there."

With that, she turned on her heel and walked over to her gloomy best friend. "What's up, buttercup?" She asked softly as she sat next to him on the senior's hallway couch.

"Why are you here?" He huffed dejectedly, "Nobody wants to be around Cory the Downer."

"Cory the Downer?" She repeated, getting a sense of what his fight with Shawn had been about.

Cory leaned his head against her shoulder and she patted his head comfortingly. "I don't want to be like this but I don't know how not to be. I just- I miss her."

"I know. But we both know that you have to..." She paused, wanting to be as gentle as she could with the blunt information she knew he needed to hear, "Cory, you have to let go."

"But I don't want to," He exclaimed with a shaky pout.

"That doesn't matter," She said softly, "Because you hurt Topanga, so now you need to let her get over that however she needs to. And what she needs right now isn't you."

Cory knew she was right but that didn't make her words any easier to take in. After a beat of silence, he sat up and turned to face her. "Does it get easier?"