6│SHORT STACK OF PANCAKES

❝Only know you've been high when you're feeling lowOnly hate the road when you're missing homeOnly know you love her when you let her goAnd you let her go❞

Only hate the road when you're missing home
Only know you love her when you let her go
And you let her go❞

Let Her Go | Passenger

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"Sorry for being late, sir," Beau apologized profusely as he jogged into class, "My flight was delayed."

"You went back to Texas again this weekend?" Theo asked knowingly.

Theo was giving a business seminar at Pennbrook as a favor to Mr. Feeny, which actually meant that Lydia forced him despite his complaining and whining about not wanting to go.

He smiled and nodded. "Visited my friends."

"He misses his old friends. Aww," Elena cooed with a smirk, "Cowboy's got the blues."

Beau rolled his eyes as he crossed his arms expectantly and waited, he'd figured out very quickly that Elena had an endless supply of cowboy jokes just for him.

And he was right. Because with a bright smile and a low voice, she started singing the blues. The Cowboy Blues.

"Campfire for one
My friends are all cows
And I miss 'em
Ha-hur, ha-hur-hur..."

Beau, almost unfazed, just pulled out a harmonica and started playing to her twangy tune.

"Ha-hur..." Elena trailed off, the smile completely wiped off her face, "I will never get to you, will I?" She whined with a stony frown.

Now Beau was the one smirking brightly. "No, but I sure do appreciate the effort," He tipped an imaginary hat, "Ma'am."

She stiffened and let out an annoyed shudder as her hand curled into a fist. "Ooh!"

Theo chuckled as he watched their exchange. "Oh, I'm keeping you!" He decided gleefully.

"I'm your daughter," She reminded him sharply with a glare.

"And I love you," Theo said warmly before he grinned, "But I also love seeing that vein in your neck pop out. Now you know how I've felt ever since you started walking," He snarked.

Cory tapped Beau on the shoulder and leaned forward on his desk to whisper while Elena and Theo continued their banter. "Don't take the jokes too hard. It takes a while for the ice inside her to melt but once it does she's as warm as a campfire!" He reassured brightly.

"Curly hair and the personality of a golden retriever. You're Cory, right?" Beau asked, "The best friend?"

"She's like the sister I never had," Cory nodded with a warm smile, "Because the sister I do have is normal and not terrifying," He finished casually.

Beau paused and his brows furrowed as he took in Cory's explanation.

"Yes, you," Theo pointed to someone in the back with their hand raised, brushing Elena off, "With the weird bowl cut that you have to have known went out of style 20 years ago."