15│THE SISTER IN LAW

❝I guess I've got a smart wife

❝I guess I've got a smart wife.❞

Yogi Berra

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"Once I wished I was a duck, as most ducks have lots of luck. They swim around all day in a pool and never have to go to school." Elena's eyebrows furrowed as she continued to watch the movie Mr. Feeny had played for them.

What on Earth are we watching, She asked herself as she let her head drop down onto her desk.

"Beaver, I think that's very, very cute." Beaver's mother smiled at him.

"More like very, very weird," Elena whispered under her breath and smiled when she heard Cory and Shawn laugh.

"Hey Beav, you still think you'll get a prize for that?" Beaver's brother asked, referring to the poem he'd just read aloud to his family.

"Sure, Wally. I'm the only kid in the third grade who wrote a poem!" Beaver exclaimed with a smile as the automated laughs of a fake audience played just before the screen went black.

"So, how do you feel Ward and June handled their family problem?" Mr. Feeny asked the class.

"They were too perfect," Shawn called out.

"Too fake." Elena agreed.

"Too TV." Cory agreed.

"I agree with you, Mr. Matthews." Mr. Feeny said and Cory's eyes widened as he looked over at him with suspicion.

"That's not like you."

"There's a first time for everything," Elena smiled, "You'll do something stupid soon, don't worry."

Shawn laughed as Cory turned to glare at Elena, who just patted his cheek.

"It's just the way it is Cor."

"In fact, you brought me to today's assignment." Mr. Feeny continued, ignoring Elena and Cory's banter.

"That's like you." Cory nodded his head.

"Back in the prehistoric 1950s, when Cleavers strode the earth; the U.S. Census indicated that a model American family had a mother, a father, and two children." Mr. Feeny explained.

"Leftovers," Cory announced.

"What are you talking about, Mr. Matthews?"

"Well, last year in fifth grade we divided up into families and solved problems. It's sixth grade

now, Mr. Feeny. Families are yesterday's news." Cory informed him.

"Very well." Mr. Feeny sighed, "This year, I shall let you form into urban gangs."

"Cool!" Cory exclaimed with a bright smile as he sat up straighter in his seat.

"Each gang will have a mother, a father, and two children." Cory was quick to slam his head on his desk.