9│THE BIRTHDAY DISASTER

❝You say I'm never satisfiedBut that's not me, it's you'Cause all I ever wanted was to be enoughBut I don't think anything could ever be enoughNo, nothing's enough for you❞

But that's not me, it's you
'Cause all I ever wanted was to be enough
But I don't think anything could ever be enough
No, nothing's enough for you❞

Enough For You | Olivia Rodrigo

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"Oh, hi," Elena smiled when she opened the front door and saw Beau.

He grinned at her, "Hey, you," He opened his arms and stepped forward for a hug only to frown when she held her hand to stop him and quickly took a step back.

"Sorry," She smiled sheepishly.

"Sorry! Do I still smell like skunk?" He grimaced. 

Her brows furrowed in confusion, wondering what her dad had him doing before she shook her head. "No, it's not that. I just- I haven't told my dad that we're dating yet. And a little."

"Well, when are you gonna tell him? I want to tell the world. If I was back home, I'd have your name on the water tower by now," He admitted with a proud smile.

Elena chuckled and arched a brow. "A water tower? That sounds serious, Hopalong."

"Oh, it is. Especially if you get caught by Deputy Jim Bob," He said seriously, "Anyways, when are you gonna tell him? It seems like your dad likes me."

"Well, yeah, I just- I don't know," She sighed and shrugged, "I've never dated anyone that works for him before."

"That's good news. I've seen some pictures of Vern," He teased with a chuckle.

She smiled. "Okay, okay. Look, I'm gonna tell him. I just want to make sure that he's in a good mood when I do it," She explained.

Just as she said that they heard Theo's voice booming through his office as he yelled down the phone at someone. He was not happy about something and neither of them wanted to know why.

"Now's not that time," Elena said decidedly and Beau nodded quickly.

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"Elena?" She could hear the confusion in Shawn's voice when he picked up on the first ring.

He would call her every night and their conversation ranged from a few hours to just a few minutes. But no matter what, he always called just to let her know he was alive and not in a jail cell. Unfortunately, their last call got a bit heated and they ended up having a full-fledged fight over the phone. And since then, he'd just leave one missed call to let her know he was okay with the understanding that if he called again that meant trouble.

He breathed a sigh of relief. "Elena, I just want you to know that no matter-"

"Shut up," She demanded, "Just let me talk for a second. Look, you've said you're sorry a million times. And I believe you. And I'm trying to forgive you, but I'm just not there yet. But it's almost my birthday, and as much as I hate to admit it... I miss you. And I can't stand not talking to you, even though I'm mad at you. 'Cause you're still my best friend."