Summer Time Sunsets

We were sitting down enjoying the first long weekend at the cottage with the kids and my brothers who came up for the weekend. "Boat ride anyone?" Sam asked stepping onto the boat. "I'm down."James said as he and Will hopped on the boat. "Anyone else?"Sam asked before starting up the boat. "Maybe after dinner Sam."I said as I stood in the shallow water with Macey sitting in her floaty. "Alright we'll be back in about an hour."He replied as he backed the boat out and took off to the open waters.

"I'm going to head up and start getting things ready for dinner."I said as I stood up and made my way back up to the cottage. "Did you want any help?"Alex yelled from the end of the dock. "Maybe with the BBQ please."I yelled back as Alex began to run up the path and caught up with me. "So what are we having for dinner tonight?"He asked as I opened the door and slid my sandals off my feet.

"Burgers, salad and French fries."I responded as we made our way upstairs and into the kitchen. Alex went out onto the deck and started the BBQ while I washed my hands in the kitchen sink and got everything out to make the salad. "Did you want me to put the burgers on now or wait a bit?"he asked peeping through the door. "Just give it a couple of minutes to warm up and then we can put them on the grill."I replied as I began to chop up some carrots and cucumbers for the salad.

I opened oven and pulled out a couple of trays and placed the fries down on each tray evenly. "Okay, you can put the patties on the grill now."I said to Alex as he took a plate out of the cupboard and placed the frozen patties on it to transport them to the grill. "Okay."Alex said as he lifted the lid of the BBQ and placing the patties on the grill. "The boys are back."Hunter said coming in from the outdoors with Macey in his arms. "Alright, dinner should be ready in 20." I replied as Hunter put Macey in her playpen and went upstairs to change.

"Dinner's ready!"Alex yelled to the boys who were still down on the dock. I took Macey out of her play pen and placed her in her high chair at the table and buckled her in. "Smells good in here."James said heading over to the sink and washing his hands. Once everyone sat down at the dinner table, we began to dig into our burgers. "Thanks for having me this weekend Mrs. H." Will said picking up his glass of water. "Oh no worries Will, we're glad you could join us."I replied.

After cleaning up from dinner, I took Macey upstairs and gave her a quick bath before dressing her in her pajamas and getting ready to put her to bed. "We're going to sit down by the fire if you want to join us."James said peeping into Macey's room. "Okay, I'm just putting your sister to bed and I'll be down in a bit." I replied while rocking back and forth in the rocking chair and humming a lullaby to my sweet baby girl. "Did you want me to stay up here with her while you go down to the fire?"Sam asked stopping in front of the door. "Are you sure? You don't mind ?"I asked as he stepped forward and into the room. "No I'm sure, you go enjoy the campfire with the family and I'll stay up here with Macey."He replied as I stood up and held Macey out for Same to hold her. "Besides, I haven't had Uncle Sam and Macey Moo time in a while." He added. "Thanks Sam."I said before telling him where the baby monitor was in case he needed it.

I went into the kitchen and grabbed some marshmallows and hot dogs to cook for the boys to cook over the fire while we enjoy the fireworks from across the lake. "Alright boys, I brought down some stuff to cook over the fire if you're hungry."I said placing the tray of snacks on the picnic table before sitting down in an empty chair. "Thanks."They said in unison as James and Will got up and decided to roast marshmallows to make some smores. "Check out that wicked sunset man."Alex said as we looked out onto the lake. "The sky looks like cotton candy."Hunter said. I took my phone out and took a couple of pictures of the sunset and the boys all gathered around the campfire."Where's uncle Sam?"James asked as he prepared his smore. "He's having uncle Sam and Macey time."I replied as I posted the pictures onto social media.

It grew dark out and the only light visible outside was the light coming from the campfire and the fireworks that were being let off across the lake along with the light coming from the cottage. "Check that one out."Hunter said as the next firework to be let off displayed an image of a maple leaf in the middle. "Cool."Will said as we continued to watch the firework show. After everything calmed down, everything grew quiet again as the only sound heard was the frogs and the crickets in the grass. "Would you look at that. The moon's huge tonight."I said as the boys all turned their heads to the sky and sat there in awe.

"Well, I'm going to head in now. I'll see you guys bright and early tomorrow morning."I said standing up and gathering all the stuff I had brought for the boys to cook over the fire. "Night mom love you."James said. "Love you too J."I replied before the others said goodnight in unison. When I got back up to the cottage, I put everything away and made my way upstairs to my room. "How's it-"I stopped once I saw Sam fast asleep in the rocking chair with Macey in his arms. I walked over quietly to where they were and gently shook Sam awake. "What?"He said opening his eyes and squinting. "I came in to check on things before I went to bed and found you asleep."I replied as he stood up and placed Macey in her crib before stretching. "Well, I'm off to bed now so I guess we'll see you in the morning."Sam said before yawning. "Night Sammy, Love you."I said as I gave my big brother a hug. "Night Mads, love you too kid."He replied placing a kiss on my forehead and leaving the room.

I pulled the sheets down on my bed and got in and pulled them back up getting all comfortable before laying down as sleep took over my body.