Drink - 4

"But you want me to stay here? That's very generous, but I feel like a bit of a burden; like I'm intruding or something." Out of nowhere, Tom stumbled over when Tord's assistant popped up behind him. "Ah!" He caught himself against the wall. "Whoa, calm down!" The assistant chuckled and nudged Tord. "Scaredy cat, hm?" He teased playfully but Larkin only shook his head and sighed. "Han er en liten gutt og vi må beskytte han." He contently glanced at Tom who was fixing himself up.

"And why is that?" The assistant prompted him to speak English, but the leader only continued in his native tongue so that Tom would be left in the linguistic dark. "Hans far misbruker ham. Jeg må være der for ham. Simple. (His father abuses him. I must be there for him. Simple.)" He once again looked at Tom with slight sorrow, making the boy more confused. "Oh... I see. You know that does explain this whole thing pretty well."

"Han er så søt og liten, som en kattunge. (He's so cute and small, much like a kitten.)" Larkin smiled a little and then looked back at his assistant. "Did you just call me a cat?" Tom chimed in, causing them to both turn to look at him at the same time. "How would you know?" The leader assertively asked with a daring suspicion. "I don't know, it sounded like you said cat tongue nya!" Tom looked away, intimidated.

"Well, you're wrong, so don't make harmful assumptions." He crossed his arms and went back to talking with his assistant about the situation. "Maybe you're wrong..." Tom mumbled mockingly under his breath and fiddled with his hands impatiently. He wandered into the apartment as they spoke, looking around and admiring the nicer things. It felt more comforting to at least be in a homely, kempt setting.

He glanced at some papers lying around, focusing on them for a little while before moving onto whatever he found next. He became familiar with the area and the leader called him back to the entrance, "Thomas, this is my assistant drill sergeant, Paul. He usually isn't at this building but we had to talk for a moment." He introduced him politely.

"Ah, lovely to meet you, Thomas." Paul shook his hand, rattling the boy from the intensity. "N-nice to meet you as well, Sir." Tom huffed, ending the aggressive handshake. Larkin chuckled at that and bid farewell to Paul for the time being. "Hah, sorry about that. You are ready to get settled in, are you not?" He closed the front door and locked it, starting to unbutton his coat.

"Are you done with work?" He watched as the larger man slid off his coat and hung it on a prong in the wall. "I'm the boss, so sure." He kidded, fixing his red turtleneck. "How the hell did you get hired with an attitude like that? Sounds like malfeasance." Tom giggled, sitting on a barstool at the nearby countertop. Tord walked around the other end of the island and took two glasses, staring down at them in thought, "My father is a very important person, that's all."

"Wish I could relate." The boy joked, resting his chin on the palm of his hand as he swung his legs which didn't quite reach the floor. "I don't know about that. I've always had to live up to very high standards." He smiled and set the glasses down, opening a small fridge to retrieve a bottle.

"I had to live up to high standards too." Tom insisted, recounting the last time he had seen his friends, his father, and his school. He felt as though he had worked so hard, but he always managed to fail, "It was... difficult, to say the very least." He stared down at the countertop's marbled surface. The smug man interjected unkindly, "High standards... I mean, you failed highschool. Passing highschool is a low standard, Thomas."

"I had a lot going on, you wouldn't get it." He quickly became defensive. Larkin turned to the boy and set down a glass in front of him, "Forget it." He stated coldly. "What?" Tom looked up to him and then back down at the glass in confusion. "Forget it. All of it. Drink it away." Tord gestured to the filled glass. "Like my father? No way." Tom groaned angrily.

"Thomas, I am highly bothered by emotional people. I prefer them when they're duller, so please, someone such as yourself needs a drink or two before I lose my cool." He elucidated factually, taking a sip of his own drink. "I don't drink, though." He huffed in denial. "It's got a low alcohol content. You'll be fine." Larkin leaned against the counter behind him and grinned, watching as the boy tried the drink.