Endurance - 3

"Today we are going to be testing how much you can take both physically and emotionally." Larkin announced in the courtyard to his group of about fifty new recruits. "Drop and do 20 push-ups. Now." He demanded sternly as all of them got on the ground and started. Tord purposely kept an eye on Tom as the poor boy was barely able to do one. 

"Pathetic work, Thomas." Tord bared his teeth in distaste, laughing on the inside as Tom just lays on his stomach. "You're pathetic work." He groaned and stayed there. "Get up, you're too weak." The leader insisted. Tom got up reluctantly, "Stop picking on me..." he whined, already too tired to care about what that looked like to the others.

"Sir, about half our recruits can't get past ten." Another man in more formal wear told the leader. "Do the endurance test with them, as is per usual. I have to do one with this brat over here. He's a special case." Tord scoffed and offered his hand, "Come with me." He helped Tom up and they started walking. "I don't mean to be rude, but it does feel strange being taken aside by the leader out of a lot of other kids." The shy boy commented coyly. Larkin merely shook his head at such a statement, "You just require more attention."

They entered a room inside of the main training base where there were a bunch of weights and exercise machines, and Tom seemed as though he didn't even know what most of them were. "Twenty-pound." Tord said and handed Tom a large dumbbell, startled -- which was out of his character -- when Tom quickly dropped it. "That's heavy!" He pouted and held his own hand. "That hurt!"

"Deal with it, Thomas. You know some soldiers can take a gunshot." Tord hissed, genuinely becoming a bit frustrated. "Do you even feel sympathy?!" Tom grabbed the leader's arm like a needy child would. With a new air of aggression, Larkin grunted, "Last fucking warning." He instinctively pushed him against the wall and held him there, his voice gritty. "Don't touch me. You could be a threat and I might end up hurting you."

Tom took a moment of silence before responding, shocked by the leader's defensiveness. "Ah, s-sorry, Sir..." He looked away with overwhelming embarrassment. "Why do you behave as though I'm romancing you?" Tord let go and let out a deep breath, calming himself to the best of his ability as he fixed his lapels. "I am not exactly used to random men in formalwear slamming me into a wall and being that close to me." Tom nervously stared at the floor.

"Thomas, I don't think you belong here." He stated firmly. "No! Honestly this place is better than home and I don't even know if my own father loves me! If I go back I'll need to stay somewhere but I can't afford that!" Tom cried out desperately, still not realizing how sympathy wouldn't get him very far. "I'm sure he cares for you, Thomas, but you won't do what we need you to in a place like this. You're nearly handicapped."

"I'm not going back!" Tom panicked as his eyes narrowed in sorrow and he grabbed Tord's arm tightly, shaking a little knowing he'd be in trouble for touching the formidable figure. The leader froze and looked down at him with confusion, taken aback by how emotional he was. "Thomas," Tord mumbled as Tom adjusted himself into a close hug. "This is really too much."

Completely put-off, he managed to maintain his usual composure while he slowly rested his arms around Tom, contemplating what to do with him. He waited for his whimpers and crying to slow into a complete stop before speaking again. "I don't want to send you back," He began, "But I also need to know what is wrong. If this is abusive-"

"I'm no good for myself. I can't be alone, but I can't go back home. I have no money and nothing to call my own. As much as it's jarring, I've accepted that I have to be here." Tom finally let go of the hug and stepped back, wiping his eyes with his hoodie sleeve and refusing to show his face. "Maybe you just need a fresh start." Tord suggested, and he could almost feel the click in puzzle pieces going together. Not that this was his problem.

"Okay, fine, Thomas." He visibly struggled with himself for just a moment despite all of his diligent efforts, "I know this is strange to say coming from someone in my position..." He looked straight into the other's dark eyes. "I'll take care of you. You don't have to be afraid, okay?"

Tord gently pushed away some hair from Tom's face. The boy just kept staring into his eyes as if falling into a trance. "Is that okay?" Tord prompted and gave a very serious expression. "Y-Yes, Sir." Tom nodded a little and let out a sigh of relief when Tord broke eye contact for a second. "Then come with me."

The two fixed themselves up a final time and walked down the hallway. "People seem to treat you wrong." He looked down at Tom who was nervously following beside him. "I-I guess." He twirled a strand of his wavy light brown hair anxiously around his finger. "I wouldn't trust them if I were you either. Why don't you stay with me, in my space?" Larkin asked as they left the main training base, headed over to another sector.

"I-Isn't that kind of... inappropriate?" He quickly asked, a panicked blush forming on his cheeks. "Yes, completely. But as long as you're not being harmed, we can call it a safety precaution." Tord reassured him as they entered the next building which looked much nicer and domestic. It was strangely opulent, like a very nice hotel but where the higher-ups would live while at the base.

They took an elevator to the second floor, Tom taking in the new environment with more interest and serenity. "Here." Tord brought him a few doors down and unlocked one of the large rooms, showing off a very elegant and clean apartment space. "Oh, shit... does your job pay well?" Tom questioned as they stepped inside. "Sure, but that has little to do with my housing situation in this area." Leader chuckled calmly, "They just give us a nice space while we're here, probably so that we're less inclined to want to leave. If you think this is nice, you should check out my places in Trondheim and Bergen." He snickered playfully. "You have houses in other countries?" Tom gasped, impressed. Tord's posture slumped in confusion and dissatisfaction at that reaction, "No... those are places in Norway."