Chapter 3

After driving around the city for about ten minutes. I think I've lost Batman and the other two vigilantes.

The monotone voice from the motorcycle tells me I'm only two minutes away from the spot I need to be, which is a pleasant coincidence.

Following the directions given to me, I am led to an alley way. I don't even know who I'm looking for. "Hello?" I say, my quiet voice echoing.

"Ace" a man walks into the alley holding a small backpack. "I'm quite glad you were the one to assassinate Chitin, I also like how you mark your victims so they always know it's you. I like how you play the game" his voice is raspy like mine, except his is raspy to the point where I can barely understand him. It sounds like he smoked five packs of cigars then stuck his head in a grill, mine is raspy because it's just that way.

"Whatever, I just need the money quickly. I was caught by some vigilantes earlier"

"Oh yes. Here you are" he says dropping the bag. I check it to make sure it's the correct amount, which it is. "It was a pleasure meeting you Ace. There's somethi-"

"Sorry, I'd love to stay and chat but I have to go" I bluntly say, stuffing the backpack in my duffle bag while driving away.

Usually I take the time to build allies with other people because it is worth it. However right now, I just wanna get back to the house so I can get away from Batman for good.

It's two fifty two right now, if I speed I'll be able to get back to the house by three like Slade said. Though I don't enjoy doing everything he says, it sure helps prevent broken bones.

Even though the beatings weren't as bad as they used to be, I still try to avoid them. Lately they've been getting worse too, and Slade has been trying to enforce the rules he had before. He's been replacing the metal things with iron. Usually they were made out of a simple steel or cheap aluminum. The problem with iron is that it burns through my skin. The smallest touch is like torture and they hurt like a bitch.

Maybe the next time I go on a mission it won't be in Gotham so I can maybe find someone to scan me for trackers.

All I want to do is get away from Slade. I'm tired of being his apprentice. The physical and emotional scars he's caused, the horrifying images I can't unsee, they stick with me. It's been a while since I actually killed someone. Over the past two weeks I've mostly been stealing artifacts for Slade. Just when the nightmares have started to die down, I'm going to be graced with more. I don't know how some people do it, take another life an have it not affect them at all.

Maybe someday I'll get away from Slade, or maybe I'll just be killed and put out of my misery. Either way, I just hope I'll eventually get my freedom back.

Nightwings POV

That was just sad. Batman, Robin and I all just lost to one teenage girl.

I know that girl was Ace, she's a pretty well known assassin but still, how?

Batman insists he's fine even though he can't even walk and he drives himself back to the Batcave for medical attention, leaving me with Robin to complete the mission.

Batman says we should get more information on Ace as even though she's well known, we know next to nothing about her. I know she's been an assassin for at least five years as her first public assassination was five years ago. I also know she's one of the best known snipers, but that's about it. I know that before that, she was mostly a rumour, a myth.

"Great job Nightwing, we just lost to a literal nine year old!"

"I thinks she's probably around your age"