The Satan Pit

"The pit is open," Angela muttered to herself

"But there's nothing. I mean there's nothing coming out?" Zach wondered

"No, no." The Doctor said over the comm "No sign of the Beast,"

"Doctor it said..." Angela started

"Come on, Angel. Keep it together,"

"Why is it every time I turn away that bastard manages to crawl his way back in," Angela hissed her voice laced with both fear and anger.

"Ida?" Zach called out "I recommend that you withdraw immediately,"

"But we've come all this way," Ida whined

"Okay, that was an order. Withdraw. When that thing opened, the whole planet's shifted. One more inch and we fall into the black hole. So this thing stops right now,"

"But it's not much better up there with the Ood,"

"I'm initiating strategy nine, so I need the two of you back up immediately, no ar..."

Ida turned off the comms.

"Ida. Ida!"

***

Ida turned to the Doctor "What do you think?"

"I think they gave an order," The Doctor replied

"Yeah, but what do you think?"

"It said, I am the temptation,"

"Well, if there's something in there, why is it still hiding?"

"Maybe we opened the prison but not the cell,"

"We should go down. I'd go. What about you,"

"Oh. Oh, in a second, but then again, that is so human. Where angels fear to tread. Even now, standing on the edge. It's that feeling you get, eh? Right at the back of your head. That impulse. That strange little impulse. That mad little voice saying, go on. Go on. Go on. Go over. Go on. Maybe it's relying on that." The Doctor than thought back to the fear he heard in Angela's voice, and remember what he had read in the books about what Lucifer had done to her family or was meant to do. "For once in my life, Officer Scott, I'm going to say retreat. Angela, we're coming back,"

***

"The best news I've heard all day," Angela sighed in relief until she noticed Jefferson pointing his rifle at Toby. "What're you doing?"

"He's infected. He brought that thing on board. You saw it," Jefferson argued

"Are you going to start shooting your own people now, is that what you're going to do? Is it?"

"If necessary,"

"Well then, you'll have to shoot me if necessary, so what's going to be?" Angela noticed him hesitate and took out a flask and splashed its contents on Toby "Whatever it was, is gone. It passed into the Ood. You saw it happen. He's clean." she noticed Jefferson still hesitate "Any sign of trouble, I'll shoot him,"

Jefferson nodded in acceptance and lowered his weapon.

Angela looked back at Toby "Are you all right?"

"Yeah, I don't know," Toby replied

"Can you remember anything?"

"Just, it was so angry. It was fury and rage and death. It was him. It was the devil,"

***

The Doctor and Ida returned to the capsule "What's strategy nine?"

"Open the airlocks. We'll be safe inside the lockdown. The Ood will get thrown out into the vacuum," Ida explained

"So we're going back to a slaughter?"

"The devil's work. Okay, we're in. Bring us up,"

"Ascension in three, two, one," Jefferson said as the power went out.

***

"This is the darkness. This is my domain," a demonic voice said as the monitors flickered with images of the Ood. "You little things that live in the light, clinging to your feeble suns which die in the..."

"That's not the Ood." Zach proclaimed "something's talking through them,"

"Only darkness remains,"

"This is Captain Zachary Cross Flane of Sanctuary Base Six, representing the Torchwood archive. You will identify yourself,"

"The girl knows my name,"

Angela felt her hands ball into fists "What do you want?"

"You will die here. All of you. This planet is your grave,"

"It's him." Toby whimpered "It's him. It's him,"

"If you are the Beast, then answer me this." The Doctor said over the com and Angela closed her eyes praying the Doctor didn't say anything stupid. "Which one, hmm? Cos the universe has been busy since you've been gone. There are more religions than there are planets in the sky. The Archiphets, Orkology, Christianity, Pash Pash, New Judaism, San Klah, Church of the Tin Vagabond. Which devil are you?"

"All of them," The demon said

"What, then you're the truth behind the myth?"

"This one knows me as I know him. The killer of his own kind,"

"How did you end up on this rock?"

"The Disciples of the Light rose up against me and chained me in the pit for all eternity,"

"When was this?" Angela asked

"Before time,"

"What does that mean?"

"Before time,"

Angela gave out a frustrated sigh "What does before time mean?"

"Before light and time and space and matter. Before the cataclysm. Before this universe was created."

Angela finally understood...this wasn't her future, it was Lucifer's origin.