42 (Pt. 5)

Impact in 8.57

In the airlock, the Doctor removed his helmet. He seemed to be in a lot of pain, on his knees with his eyes clamped tight shut. The Doctor literally fell out of the airlock back into the corridor of the spaceship, still on his knees. I ran to the Doctor, as he writhed with pain on the floor.

"Doctor! Doctor!" As I reached the Doctor, I realized that something was wrong. I crouched beside him. "Are you OK?" I flipped the Doctor onto his back, so he could sit up. However, as I did so, the Doctor opened his eyes and revealed that whatever infected Korwin and Ashton now had got him too.

"Stay away from me!" The Doctor ordered as he tried to fight whatever it was that had him. He closed his eyes again and continued to writhe with pain. Martha quickly grabbed me away from the Doctor as we did what he said, and backed away. Behind us, McDonnell appeared.

"What's happened?" McDonnell asked

"It's your fault, Captain McDonnell!"

McDonnell looked shocked but quickly regained composure. Pointing away from us. "Riley! Get down to area 10 and help Scannell with the doors. Go!"

Riley did as she said.

"You mined the sun!" The Doctor shouted "Stripped its surface for cheap fuel! You should have scanned for life!"

"I don't understand,"

"Doctor, what are you talking about?!" Martha asked

The Doctor tried to fight the pain "That sun is alive! A living organism! They scooped out its heart, used it for fuel, and now it's screaming!"

"What do you mean?" McDonnell asked panicking "How can a sun be alive? Why's he saying that?!"

"Because it's living in him," I realized

"Oh my god..." McDonnell said, realizing what she had done.

"Humans!" the Doctor said really angry now "You grab whatever's nearest and bleed it dry!" he screamed in agony and anguish "You should have scanned!"

"It takes too long! We'd be caught! Fusion scoops are illegal,"

"You've got to freeze me, quickly!" The Doctor ordered still crying out in pain.

"What?!" I exclaimed rushing back to his side.

"Stasis chamber! You gotta keep me...below minus 200. Freeze it out of me!" The Doctor screamed again. Martha looked at McDonnell in disgust. The Doctor grabbed my hand "It'll use me to kill you if you don't! The closer we get to the sun, the stronger it gets! Med-centre! Quickly! Quickly!"

"Help me!" I screamed at Martha and McDonnell.

Martha rushed over to help. She grabbed his free arm, and between us, Martha and I half carried, half dragged the Doctor towards the med-center. The computer readout counted ever closer towards zero.

Impact in, 7.30.

Martha and I were still taking the Doctor to the med-center. As we broke through the plastic, he screamed. Martha ran forward to the stasis chamber and grabbed the instruction manual. "I can do!" Martha said to herself

"Angel, where are you?!" The Doctor asked reaching out blindly.

I took his hand "It's alright! I'm here! It's me! Here I am!"

"Stasis chamber, minus 200, yeah?" Martha asked. We lifted the Doctor onto the stasis chamber bed.

"No, you don't know how this equipment works!" McDonnell exclaimed "You'll kill him! Nobody can survive those temperatures!"