The Impossible Planet Pt. 2

"Close door 1," The computer reported

"The rocket line's fine," Toby claimed as he came in the room.

Zach called up a hologram over the central console. "That's the black hole, officially designated K three seven Gen five,"

"In the scriptures of the Falltino, this planet is called Kroptor, the bitter pill. And the black hole is supposed to be a mighty demon,"

Angela visibly flinched at the mention.

"It was tricked into devouring the planet, only to spit it out, because it was poison,"

"Well Doc you certainly know how to choose them," Angela laughed bitterly.

The Doctor placed a hand on Angela's shoulder "We are so far out. Lost in the drifts of the universe. How did you even get here?!"

"We flew in." Zach explained "You see, this planet's generating a gravity field. We don't know how. We've no idea. But it's kept in the constant balance against the black hole. And the field extends out there is a funnel. A distinct gravity funnel, reaching out into clear space. That was our way in,"

"You flew down that thing?" Angela asked "Like a rollercoaster,"

"By rights, the ship should have been torn apart. We lost the Captain, which is what put me in charge,"

"You're doing a good job," Ida told him

"Yeah, well, needs must,"

"But if that gravity funnel closes, there's no way out," Danny said

"We had fun speculating about that," Scooti said

"Oh, yeah. That's the word. Fun,"

"But that field would take phenomenal amounts of power. I mean not just big, but off the scale! Can I?" The Doctor asked

"Sure. Help yourself," Ida said.

An Ood gave Angela a plastic cup of drink "Your refreshment,"

"Oh, yeah. Thank you. I'm sorry, what was your name?" Angela wondered

"We have no titles. We are as one,"

Angela looked towards the group "Er, what are they called?"

"Oh, come on. Where have you been living? Everyone's got one," Danny claimed

"Well, not me, so, what are they?"

"They're the Ood,"

"The Ood?"

"The Ood,"

"Well, that's...ood,"

"Very ood, but handy. They work the mine shafts. All the drilling and stuff. Supervision and maintenance. They're born for it. Basic slave race,"

"You've got slaves?"

"Don't start." Scooti argued "She's like one of that lot. Friends of the Ood,"

"Well, maybe I am, yeah. Since when do humans need slaves?"

"But the Ood offer themselves. If you don't give them orders, they just pine away and die,"

"Seriously," Angela turned to the Ood in front of her "you like being ordered about?"

"It is all we crave,"

"Why's that, then?"

"We have nothing else in life,"

"Yeah, well, I know a friend who used to think like that, a long time ago," Angela remarked remembering how Castiel was before he chose to revolt and join Team Free Will.