Chapter 24: "He's working in Tesco?"

...

Patrick's POV

Shit. Shit shit shit shit. Shit.

"Who's Tony?"

"My- erm, my, erm, my grandad?"

She nodded slowly. Did I get away with that? She then turned to me again and said, "why don't you just save him as grandad on your phone?"

Ah fuck.

"Oh. Well erm-"

"Here." She said sweetly before taking the phone out of my hand and tapping on Tony's contact. She proceeded to change his name to 'Grandad' with a heart and I had to suppress a laugh.

As she finished he rang me again. The name displaying 'Grandad🖤'. We both looked at the phone in her hand.

She passed it over to me. "Go on. Answer it, silly."

I gulped.

I always hid out in the toilets when I had drama lessons in school. Well shit.

I pressed the answer icon and held the phone to my ear.

"Oh hey grandad."

There was silence for a few seconds before Tony answered.

"Grandad? You little shit I'm not that old yet kid I could still kick your arse if I needed to, don't test me you mother fuc-"

Maddison looked at me, smiling. I laughed awkwardly like he had said something funny.

"Okay grandad. Nice speaking to you. I'll come play bingo with you later..."

"Bingo? The fuck do you think this is? Do I look like an old person to you? The white in my hair is NOT grey it's just blonde from the sun oka-"

I ended the call abruptly and slid my phone in my pocket, turning it off and turning to Maddison.

"He's in a mood. No tennis balls left for his walking stick."

She looked at me skeptically but laughed it off and got out the car. I followed after her and walked her to her apartment door.

"Well, thank you for finally taking me on a date." She smiled. I couldn't help but smile back as her dimples subtly showed themselves.

"Thank you for coming with me."

She smiled once again before leaning in towards me, our faces were inches apart...

"Oh look it's Patrick and Maddison." The door opened revealing Maddison's Aunt. Maddison rolled her eyes as I laughed.

"I'll see you later, beautiful." She nodded and kissed me on the cheek before walking inside. I said a quick goodbye to her aunt before walking back to my car.

My phone interrupted my thoughts about Maddison as it started ringing again.

'Grandad🖤'

I scoffed as I made a mental note to change the name later before Tony could see it.
I answered cautiously as I knew he'd be annoyed and confused about our last phone call.

"Hello?"

"Bamford! What the fuck was that? Are you trying to piss me off today? I'm already
Fucking pissed off!"

I tried to cut him off before he could finish but the man could shout.

"Will you calm down. Maddison saw you calling me so I had to pretend you were my grandad. I couldn't think fast."