Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

She  smiled at her and she returned it. Taking her smile as an invitation, she ended up sitting next to her.

"Are you going to give me another speech about how I'm not a bad person?"

"I- um, yeah I was"

She hummed in response.

"I had such a great speech, but I'm sure Cap here gave you an award winning pep talk."

"He did."

"Damn."

A small laugh escaped her and she smirked at her.

"You know, someone once told me something very wise."

"I'm sure they did." She said.

"Moping isn't going to do shit"

"Did Fury tell you that?"

She laughed. "Yes, but he got it from someone else."

Catching the hint, she smiled again. "She sounds like a bitch."

"Oh, she is. Major one. You know, I don't even really like her but-"

Christine threw her head back and a light, genuine laugh filled the air.Nat nudged her shoulder before chuckling herself.

"I didn't know that Black Widow could make jokes."

"I can still kick your ass." She said.

The corner of her mouth quirked up and just as quickly as she arrived, Nat stood up and left her alone.

"We should be arriving in Hong Kong in less than fifteen minutes." Clint called from the front.

Christine smoothed a hand down her face. Her mind was racing a mile a minute and she couldn't get a minute of rest.

Like clockwork, she once again felt someone's gaze on her. Instead of looking up at them she waited for them to approach her. As predicted they did.

"Here."

She lifted her head in time to catch the weapon being tossed to her. She glared at the pistol in her hands, but still attached the holster to her side. Christine weighed the pistol in her hands before checking the ammunition and making sure there was a bullet in the chamber. Her eyebrow quirked at Steve. Simply shrugging his shoulders in response he also tossed her a spare magazine.

"Knives aren't always gonna work, you're gonna need those."

"Thanks."

"No problem." He said.

She felt the jet descend and she knew that they were close to their destination. Peeking out the window, they were approaching a building apart from the mainland. On its own island, surrounded by the sparkling water was Dr. Cho's lab. The building was made up of glass windows, all placed in a perfectly geometrical design. Leading up to the building was a beautiful bridge, surrounded by water.

Clint maneuvered the jet to the pavement below, but he kept the engine running.

"Alright, Christine, you're with me. Every one else be on the lookout. They aren't going down without a fight."

Christine followed behind Steve, his long strides were hard to keep up with so she settled for a light jog. Inside, the lobby was empty. Upon further inspection papers were scattered everywhere, chairs overturned, and phones were still ringing with no one to answer.

"They left in a hurry."

"That means Ultron's already here."

After finding a directory, they rushed to Dr.Cho's Lab. When they entered, she glanced around the room, looking for her.

"Dr. Cho!"

Steve bent down to get a better look at her. She was leaning against the wall behind her, grimacing in pain. She sharply inhaled when she tried to move from her spot. Steve places a comforting hand on her shoulder and mumbled something about staying still. She was still in her lab attire and looked like she has been for days. Christine's eyes fell on her chest, where she noticed a deep gash in her chest. She grabbed some medical supplies from the cabinet next to her and handed them to Steve. He caught the hint and began to try and clean it.

"He's uploading himself into the body."

"Where?" Steve stopped cleaning her wound, momentarily trying to glance around the room.

Dr. Cho reached out and grabbed his arm in a vice grip. "The real power is in the gem. It's power is uncontainable, unpredictable even. You can't just blow it up, it can't be destroyed. You have to get the cradle to Stark."

"First I have to find it."

She nodded and moved her hand down to grab his hands, stopping him from tending to her wound. "Go."

"Dr.Cho-"

"I'm fine, just go get the cradle before he has the chance to upload himself completely."

Steve squeezed her hand before speaking into his earpiece. "Did y'all get that?"

"We did"

Christine reached for Dr.Cho and helped her onto a medical table. She grabbed some more medical supplies, finishing up cleaning and wrapping up her wound.

"I've got a private jet taking off across town. No manifest. Could be him."

Steve shot a glance at Christine and she understood. With one last look at Dr.Cho, they both rushed out of the lab.

————————————————
Thank you for your patience!
Vote, Comment, Share.