Thirty-Seven

After the incident at the store, everyone has been on high alert. However, some kid by the name of Patrick was acting kind of funny. I thought, at first, he was hanging around with Daryl too much. But then, last night he disappeared.

"Anna," someone called.

I looked up, it was dad holding Judith and Carl holding Cassie. I smiled.

"Come on," dad whispered.

I got up quietly and followed them. I quickly moved around Daryl and followed them out the door.

Dad brought us outside where we saw Michonne getting ready for a run.

"Careful out there," Dad ordered.
"Always am," she replied, "Any requests? Books? Comics? Some stale M&Ms?"
"You two are the ones who like stale M&Ms," Carl chuckled.
Dad and I smiled.
"Then I'll definitely be looking for some. I'll look for some stuff you like, too. Why don't you wear your hat anymore?"
Carl looked back, "It's not a farming hat. See you soon?"

Dad and I continued walking. We walked up to the fence seeing all the walkers who were trying to get in.

"They only took down one cluster yesterday," Carl informed, "They want more people today. Maybe we could help?"
"I got other plans, dude," I replied, "And it involves two babies and a manchild."

Dad and Carl laughed. We heard some distant gunfire. The three of us ran. I saw Mika and Lizzie ran screaming,
"Help! Help! Please, come quick!"
"Cellblock?!" Maggie yelled down.
"I don't know!" I yelled back

Carl ran in the other direction, while dad and I ran towards the girls.

"Walkers in D!" Glenn panicked.
"What about C?!" Dad yelled back
"Clear," Sasha reassured, "We locked the gates to the tomb. Hershel's on guard."
"It ain't a breach," Daryl growled.
"We followed the plan."

We quickly ran inside, seeing mass chaos. Daryl snatched a gun from some guy.
"Move!" He yelled.

I ran in front of him because of Mark and them.
"Mark!" I yelled, "Sami!"
"Anna!" Justin called.

I saw him running up towards me.
"Justin!" I yelled, "Where's Mark, Sami, and Mike?"
"I don't know. We got separated when this hell happened."

Justin and I looked frantically. We were beginning to worry if something happened to them when we heard Sami yelling.

"Justin! Mike!"
"Shh, shut up would ya?" Another voice said.
"Nikki!" I yelled.

The voice went quiet.
"Nikki!" Justin yelled back.
"Justin!" She yelled back.

Nikki ran towards us with Sami in tow. Nikki jumped in Justin's arms. Sami came over with a tear in her eye.

"What happened?" She asked.
"I don't know," I replied, "But let's go find the others."

As we were heading back, I've noticed that over half of the bodies had no bites. It was as if they were infected from the inside out.

"What the hell happened?" Justin asked.

Just as one of us was about to answer, I heard another voice.

"Daryl," I called.
"Anna," he replied as he came over, "You guys alright?"

We all shook our heads.
"What happened?" Justin asked.
"I think we are dealing with something we are not prepared for," dad explained.

I sighed.

We began to clear out all the corpses. Dad, Daryl, Glenn, and I were on the second level, looking in the cells to make sure all the walkers were dead. I looked in the one cell and a walker grabs me.

Daryl ran up and yelled, "Anna, get down."

Daryl shot one of his arrows at the walker.

"Thanks."

Dad looked at us. We came up to him when he killed another walker. We all approached the cell where dad was examining it. Dr. Caleb Subramanian was even looking at the body.

"No bites, no wounds," dad explained, "I think he just died."
"Horribly, too," Caleb joined, "Pleurisy aspiration."
"Choked to death by his own blood," Hershel defined, "Caused those trails down his face."
"I've seen them before," I announced, "On a walker outside the fence."
"I saw them on Patrick, too," Daryl informed.

Caleb began explaining that the internal lung pressure will begin to rise, and will explode when it gets to be too much.

Sometime later, everyone left and did their own thing. I had to make sure that Enzo and Cassie were good. As I was checking on my kids, I began to feel like I wanted to pass out. I began to cough really bad.

"Anna?" Hershel called, "Are you okay?"
"Yeah," I replied as I coughed again, "Where's Daryl?"

Hershel looked down the stairs.
"Coming up the stairs."

Daryl came up and gave Hershel a look.
"What's wrong?" He asked.
"Nothing, just making sure Anna here is alright."
"Hershel, I'm fine."

I began to walk away, but the next thing I noticed was falling to the ground and everything turning black.

"Anna!" Daryl yelled.

I could not comprehend on what was happening. It felt like something was attacking me from within. Things were starting to get very difficult.
_________________________________
It's been a long time since I published a chapter for this book. Minus well...