twenty-six

The next day, we were preparing for Dale's funeral. It was hard on all of us, especially on Andrea.

After the events of last night, Hershel told us to move into the house.

"Gonna be tight," dad said, "fourteen people in one house."
"Don't worry about that..." Hershel replied, "With the swamp hardening, the creek drying up...."
"With fifty head of cattle on the property," Maggie joined, "we might as well be ringing a damn dinner bell."
"She's right. We should've moved you in a while ago."

I walked away from this conversation. I'm not about to listen to Shane argue about Randall's
not getting executed.
...
I was helping people bringing in stuff. I didn't know where Daryl was at.

"I'll take that." Daryl said, coming up from behind me.

I smiled at that.

"You and I are taking the room where I was recovering from my injury." I told him.

He nodded. Shane's been making it difficult for Daryl. Shane suspected that Daryl knows about our confrontation. I grabbed my bag and went to my room. As soon as I set my stuff down, I went looking for Carl and dad. I found mom though.

"Hey, mom." I said.

Mom turn around.

"Hey sweetie." She replied.
"Do you know where Carl and dad are at?"
"They are probably at the barn."

I nodded. I went to the barn and started to go up the ladder, until I heard dad.

"That's why I need you and Anna. No more kid stuff. I wish you could have the childhood that Anna and I had, but that's not gonna happen. People are gonna die. I'm gonna die. Mom. Anna..."

I left the conversation after that. Sound like Carl was having a father-son moment. I decided to go to the barn to check in Randall, but when I got there, he was gone.

"Dad!" I yelled, "Daryl! Andrea!"
All of them came running towards the barn. I ran to the first person I saw, which was Andrea.

"Annabelle!" Andrea yelled.
"It's Randall." I panted, "He's gone."

We went into the barn, then back out. Mom, Hershel, everyone came out panicking. Shane was coming out of the woods, shouting, and was covered in blood.

"I'm fine." Shane reassured, "The little bastard snuck up on me."
"T, Hershel, get everyone back in the house!" Dad yelled.

Hershel, mom, and I got everyone back into the house.

"Shane let Randall go?!" I exclaimed.
"Anna, you don't know that." T replied.

"The hell I do! That son of a bitch let the bastard go and then possibly killed him!"

I shoved passed Maggie and went upstairs to Carl. When I went into the room, he wasn't there. I looked outside the window and he was on his way towards Shane and dad.

I climbed outside of the window and ran to Carl.

"Carl! What the hell are you doing?!"
"I think Shane is going to kill dad!"

He pointed to the two men on top of the hill. Carl and I started to run toward them. Dad put a knife in Shane's gut, I gasped. Carl took my gun out of my hand and point it towards dad.

"You know..." dad started, "You two should be at home now."

Carl raised the gun.

"Just--just put the gun."

The reanimated Shane was coming closer.

"It's not what it seems."

Carl shot Shane and smiled. We ran and gave dad a hug. That shot rang throughout the woods, it could attract walkers. I went towards the dead Shane.

"Wait." Dad demanded, put his arm out in front of me, "Wait. Wait. Wait."

He wanted to make sure that the thing was dead. But Carl and I looked up and saw more walkers coming towards us.

"We gotta do something!" I yelled.
"Go back to the house!" Dad replied, "Warn the others!"

I nodded and ran back to the house. Hershel and the gang were on the porch.
"Guys! Walkers are here!"