Sixteen

Anna's POV
I woke up to hearing Daryl crying about how he was going to lose me. He's not going to lose me. Not now, today, tomorrow, or ever; I'll always love him.

I can't remember anything after the incident. The very last thing I remember was getting shot and dad screaming my name. Dad, mom and an old man came into the room.

"Anna." Mom quietly said as she came to my side.

My vision's still a little blurry. Mom stroked my hair, while dad and the old man gave me a sincere look. A blonde haired girl, about my height, came into the room with a tray full of medical stuff.
My parents went downstairs; leaving me with the old man and girl. The girl smiled and waved at me. I waved back.

"Anna, my name is Hershel and this is my daughter Beth." The old man said.

"Nice to meet you." I croaked, "What happened?"

"You shot by Otis." Beth explained, "Your father and Shane came to us. My daddy here saved you."

I was about to say something, but something interrupted me. It sounded like the sound of the RV, everyone else was here. I tried to get up, but Hershel put his hand on my shoulder. He told me that I shouldn't try to get up. I might break the stitches. I hate not being able to get up.

I want Daryl, I want to see my baby. I love him; I want to tell him that. I wonder if he will say the same thing back.

Flashback: ten minutes ago
(Daryl's POV)
I miss having Anna around me. I miss hearing her laugh, her red hair. I miss everything about her.
Without anybody looking or noticing, I sneaked upstairs; I needed to see Anna. It's been driving me crazy; I managed to get up here with no noise.

I opened up the door. Anna was in the bed, looking lifeless. She was all pale, barely having any color. I walked to the edge of the bed, sitting and saw her face. I moved a piece of her hair from her eye and placing it behind her ear.

I don't want to lose her. I love her too much. She's the only one I have left in this hellacious world. I grab her hand and shed a little tear.

"Anna, if you can hear me," I said, "I want you to know that I love you. I'll do anything in this world to protect you. Even if it kills me, you know I'll always be there for you. Nothing will keep me from protecting you. I love you, Anna."
...
I looked out the window and saw Glenn with Beth's older sister Maggie. He's trying so hard to flirt with her. It's too funny to even watch. I cried a little bit when I saw Daryl. I missed him very much. He was talking to my dad about something.

"Hey, Annabelle," Beth said, startling me a little bit.

"Hey, Beth." I replied, "How long you've standing there?"

"Long enough to know that you and Daryl are together."

"Snitch."

She giggled at that. I smiled. It's nice to finally to have a friend close to my age. No offense Daryl. Beth was telling me how Daryl was helping Carol to find Sophia; I couldn't help but smile a little bit.

"Anna, how old are you?" Beth asked.

"Nineteen." I replied, "Turning twenty in a week."

There was a knock on the door. Beth went to go get it, Daryl was on the other side. I could tell that he was crying, which made me a little nervous. So, Beth decided to give us some privacy.

Daryl came by my side. He sat on the edge. He smiled at me. I grabbed his hand and held it. He kissed my forehead, and then kissed me.
Daryl laid down right next to me. I looked into his eyes. His eyes were so beautiful, Daryl leaned in a little bit closer; from that moment on, he never left my side.
...
Later on, everybody went to bed and Daryl stayed with me. We were talking about our past lives; I told him about my birthday coming up in next week. That's when we actually did it. Nobody even suspected a thing; I couldn't believe we actually had you know what.

"Daryl, I love you," I said

"I love you too Anna." He replied, "I fell in love you from the moment I first saw you. I never want to let go Anna."

"Me neither Daryl. It feels like you and I are meant for each other."

"It does feel like it. Maybe when you get better you and I can have some more fun."

I smiled and nodded at that. After a little while longer, I ended up falling asleep. Daryl pulled me into his chest. The sound of his heartbeat was beautiful. Nothing could've messed up this perfect night.

I never wanted this night to end. I'm afraid to lose Daryl. I'm afraid that he'll be gone.

There's always that one thing that I'm afraid of; I'm afraid of letting people see the real me. The real me is this fearless brave warrior; like Wonder Woman.

I don't want people to see that I'm this helpless little girl. But then if people see the true me, they'll think I'm a monster. I'm always afraid of seeing the ones who I care about leave, die or killed. Crying is not the passion I want and neither is death.
But we all have to show that fear one day. Even if it tears you up from the inside. Or bring the monster that hides inside of you.
And when that day comes... we all might just figure out that it all comes with respect and honor.