Chapter 32: The Unfolding Of A Midnight Tragedy

Comenzar desde el principio

I started to nod my head up and down, she was right.

"Good, good," the doctor supportively says, pausing for a couple of beats. "I know that this isn't going to be easy for you to discuss, but the police are waiting outside to ask you some questions. They're going to come in now. It'll be brief," she informs me, turning her head to the clear glass outside where two officers sat on chairs, awaiting for the signal to enter.

She waves in the direction of the two female cops, catching their attention and immediately bringing the officers to their feet. They began to walk towards my door, leaving my anxiety to flare up in an instant. A loud inhale cracked the silence that followed after the doctor's words.

Why are the police going to question me? Why? Why? Why? Did I do something bad?

Before I could scare myself by stirring up bizarre scenarios of what I could've done, a warm hand lays on top of my own, providing me soothing comfort. My bed dips, leaving me to look up and find my mother's concerned face gazing deeply at me.

Her hand squeezes mine, reassuring me before she let her tipped down lips open. "Actually they just want to know her name for right now, then they'll leave after. You don't have to answer anymore questions until you're ready, they won't ask you what happened before she jumped."

And as if time could be controlled by a remote, the button able to slow down time was pressed, hard and repeatedly. My mother's words then replayed in my mind as I watched her lips smack together and come apart.

They won't ask you what happened... before.. she.. jumped.

Hayley! Hayley Prescott! She jumped off the bridge. I saw her jump.

They won't ask you

***

"What happened?" A deep voice floats from the closet doorway. "Why did you just leave, man?"

And there, taking up all the space of the doorframe, completely blocking off the exit with his body, stood yet another member to a gang, specifically of the Mortes. His usual blond hair that was always kept into a small bun was now let down, his wavy strands reaching below to his broad shoulders. Alessandro's light brown eyes connected with my brother's, not aware of my presence.

"Ahem," the clone of my brother coughed, clearing his throat. "I'm busy," Asher's words followed immediately after, in a monotone voice that was deprived of emotions now.

"Are you good? You know you have another fi..." Alessandro begins to say, trailing off as his eyes fall upon my face. "Holy shit. I'll come back in a few then. Also, just so know, it's five past nine."

He took a deep breath in, sending me a tight-lipped smile in acknowledgment to my being before slipping out, shutting the door soundlessly. All of the music from behind the wooden door went mute, left to be heard by everyone beyond this closet. Silence suffused this small space in mere seconds, only making the tension grow in the absence of Asher's voice and my own.

Was Alessandro going to say he had another fight? Another deathmatch? Was he trying to get killed? Is there no reasoning with him? Can he not put aside the safety of others for a second and worry about himself? I guess we're similar in that way. But that's only if he actually means that he's doing this to protect me and our entire family.

"You're right... about a few things," he admits slowly.

The tears in my eyes long subsided as I gazed up at him, still trembling and breathing shallowly with no control over myself to stop it. Both his dull eyes bored into mine as I waited for him to elaborate.