Chapter 30: Chaos (Pt.1)

Wednesday was dancing on its toes and doing twirls around the other days, excitement racing about. It was the only day of the week that would announce the arrival of Thursday as its twenty-four hours of life came to an end. This was especially thrilling because not only did it welcome a new day, but it also welcomed the latest holiday, known as Thanksgiving, with an openly inviting embrace.

However, before Wednesday could smoothly roll by like a pencil slipping down a slanted desk, hours remained, hours that passed with a snap of my fingers.

At first, when I opened my eyes from the slumber that chased away my weariness, I realized it was the early start of the day, the sun's warm rays devouring the darkness confirmed it. Nevertheless, my eyes widened as I yawned and winced at the light, making my hand come up to block my view. Strangely enough, when I lowered my fingers from my sight, I was at school, in front of the class, and standing at a lecture stand with gloomy daylight pouring into the room, kids' transfixed shock stares meeting me.

Their eyes grew to the size of a gulf ball as their bottom and top lips parted dramatically, gasps fleeing from them. All of their twisted faces that carried confusion upon their features also stared in wonder, their obvious looks translating for the words they refused to speak.

Is it true?

Was Annalise Saint protected by the gangs terrorizing the halls and the streets of Bellton?

Did this deal, one I still have no true idea what it's about, give me immunity to their merciless ways?

I stared at the kid in the front grey desk, the one directly in my sight. I examined his cool and relaxed demeanor which slowly altered to arrogance. He stood from his seat steadily, with no ounce of impatience as he got to his feet, never breaking contact with me as a mysterious smirk curved his lips.

A smirk that hinted and taunted everyone around, screaming that he knew something all of us didn't. It prompted several students to grip the edge of their seats and desks, creating squeaks due to the pressure.

Regret fell upon everyone, one by one like a domino falling to the one behind it and taking down all the remaining others too. Alice shot to her feet in an instant, followed by Zachary and Michael as Brendon's friend with the smirk took imperious steps my way, swallowing all the energy from each person in this room, easily becoming powerful as it oozed within and out of him.

"That's right, you all heard what I said. Little Miss Saint here doesn't need to worry about the blood going to be shredded because of this resistance, she's protected," he announced with a sneer, his words provoking the students in here to rise to their feet.

"But how about you guys?" He asked, the taunting smirk forming again as he roamed his eyes over the room. "Are you protected?"

Silence paved the way for the frenzy to come, the seconds of muted voices disappeared as panicked sentences were thrown up into the air.

"I don't know what's going on, but I'm out. This was a mistake," a kid on the basketball team expressed his unease, shoving back his chair as he rose to his feet, his mocha skin turning shades lighter.

"I can't do this. This was stupid, I want to leave!" Some girl in the corner shouted over many others.

The guy who had first shouted attempted to make his way to the door.