Chapter 4: Showdown

My eyes went straight down to my heels. No one decided to move or speak for awhile, it was like we were doing a mannequin challenge. The tension in the room was suffocating. It wrapped around my neck and halted the oxygen I so desperately needed.

What was going on? I'm pretty sure that was the question on everyone's mind.

Ricky, the obvious leader, lead his way pass the crowd of teenagers. The seven others did not hesitate to trail behind, each step they took, people scattered out of there way, almost like how cockroaches quickly disperse when the lights are switched on.

It was crystal clear that you didn't want to be involved with them. It was understood that no one wanted any trouble, no one dared disrespect them.

How did I not know of this gang before?!

All walking ceased as the group of boys stood in front of Noah, a popular senior from my school, Hannah's older brother.

Oh no! Please don't let them get in a fight!

Noah crossed his arms and cocked his head to the right, his eyes narrowing at Ricky without blinking. My jaw dropped at the sight, how could he appear to be so calm, but yet intimidating?

Before any words were exchanged or any hands thrown up, four guys immediately rushed to Noah. They surrounded Ricky in a flash, but those guys were still out numbered.

The guys who barge in, promptly stepped in front of Noah's friends, squaring their shoulders and getting inches away from their faces, eyes just as mean and cold like there leader. It felt like a showdown.

"You don't stand a chance. Not in my..." Noah grinned.

Parts of their conversation floated to my ears. It was hard to make the words out, even if the music was lowered considerably and everyone was biting their tongue.

"I'm just here to properly say hello. It's obvious by now that you...." Ricky's voice drifted away, his face held a devious smile.

Once again, the words I was trying to catch turned into nothing as I saw his mouth continue to move. Noah's peachy face grew red as his eyes harden. It was clear that he didn't hear something good.

His hand made a move to go up, but it was pushed down almost immediately. One of Noah's friends shook his head at him and pointed his finger to the staircase, signaling them to head up stairs. It was understood that they should all take their conversation else where, somewhere private.

Ricky didn't wait for a guide to lead him up, he walked up the stairs, with a dead serious expression. It was as if he knew where he was going. Noah came up behind him as they took casual slow steps. The group of boys who crashed the party just grilled the other guys. Each group was waiting for the other to go up first.

The group of loyal gang members, who stood by their leader, did not hesitate to stay put. They all just crossed their arms as they waited for Noah's people to go on up. The silent debate was shortly lived as Noah gave a slight nod for his friends to continue on.

They walked upstairs as if everything was ok, but anyone with eyes could tell it wasn't. The way that Ricky and Noah acted in just the 40 or so seconds of being together, yelled tension.