Chapter 11: Truth Or Dare

"Make sure to write the date on your paper before leaving," my trigonometry teacher projected to the class.

November 3rd.

Today is the Day of the Dead party, and still no host was coming forth to accept recognition. I stopped expecting someone from claiming the party as their own since the day after I received a flyer. If the person wanted everyone to know who they were, they would've said it already.

"Come on, let's leave before your brother shows up," Alice says in urgency, shoving our papers into the hands of our teacher as we exited the class.

"And then what? Have me hide at your place until the party?" I laughed, amused at the thought.

"If it keeps you away from going with your brother than yes," she says, bobbing her head in agreement.

"Let's just all go together," I recommended.

"No way. He'll kill the party and suck the life out of us," she rejected the idea.

"Don't you think you're exaggerating?" I asked, as Alice dragged me with her through the big waves of students.

She turned to me with a humorless face, "Not in the slightest, why?" She questioned, still pulling me with her, to the doors that lead to the parking lot.

"Asher isn't the sucker of life," I flatly told her.

"He is when he's all 'protect Annalise, my baby sister' mode," she mocked, having a deep voice.

I couldn't argue with that, so I kept quiet. Asher did get all solemnly when it came down to defending people he cares about.

Alice finally released me from her grip on my wrist when we approached her 2015 edition Volkswagen.

Alice discontinued her steps abruptly, "How the hell did he know?"

I peeked up from my phone and captured the face of a confused, but also angry looking Alice, who was staring off into the distance.

I switched my view further to the location her eyes were peering at, and seen Asher leaning on Alice's grey car.

Well... no need to send the message I was writing to him.

I erased the unsent words and continued walking to him, this time dragging Alice along. We stopped as we stood an appropriate distance away, as in a distance where Alice couldn't strangle him.

"How did you know?" She exclaimed, blowing the strands of hair that fell to her face away.

"Because you're so predictable," he dourly answered, his arms crossed and his figure leaning on the side of her passenger door.

"Get off my car!" She barked, her cheeks becoming slightly red, due to her defensive side surfacing again.

He tore his eyes away from her and settled them on me, "I told you we were going to that party together."

"I know, but Alice wants me to go with her as well," I replied back.

"Too bad," he said looking at Alice.

His body stopped leaning on her car as he began to walk my way. "You're going with me. You're one and only brother."

"Well, I'm her one and only best friend!" Alice snapped at Asher, standing in front of me.