Chapter 14: Gang Member

"Oh oh oh here oh oh oh here oh oh oh," Alice and Hannah sing together in harmony.

"I ask myself what am I doing here?" I intoned the chorus, signing solo for this part.

"Oh oh oh here oh oh oh here," Alice sung, her eyes close with fingers snapping to keep the rhythm fresh in mind.

I cast a glance over to Hannah, seeing her fingers type at lightening speed across her screen. A frown overtook her calm expression moments ago, a sigh of discontentment left her mouth.

"And I can't wait till we can break up outta here," I distractingly sing out. "Excuse me if I seem a little unimpressed with this-" I drawled out too long, stretching the lyrics out more than necessary.

"Come on! Annalise, that's where you're suppose to be on point, really precise. Your transition from chorus to the verse is crucial. You have to build up that energy once you start singing 'excuse me' and blah blah," Alice criticizes, stressing out what I already know.

"I'm sorry, I was a little distracted..." I murmured, explicating the way Hannah tossed her phone into her bag with a scowl.

"Hey, are you ok?" I inquired, concern making my feet drag over to her.

"Yeah, thanks for asking," she timidly smiles, bending down to take a seat around the round table, at the same time tucking in one of her legs underneath herself.

"We were doing so great, uh, what happened? I know every great band has a fall out but this soon?" Alice jokes, chuckling lightly as she took a seat next to Hannah.

I went across and grabbed a chair where my water was placed next to. I unscrewed the lid off the bottle and took a refreshing gulp of cool ice water.

"Alright, class, gather up I have important news before you move on to lunch," Mrs. Fluent squeals, excitedly walking to the middle of her room.

"I heard wonderful news from Jemstone University!" She blabbed, turning her head to catch a glimpse of everyone's reactions.

"You did!" I jumped from my seat and scampered over to her.

"What did they say?!" Alice's voice hollered from behind me, following me in my tracks.

Her smile stretched across her face, "They will be selecting twenty students to attend their college next year! Twenty students who could receive a scholarship!" She gleefully informed us, ringing the word scholarship out as she sung it.

"Oh my goodness!" I squealed, waving my hands in front of my face.

Everyone gasped and turned to their friends, eyes gleaming with joy and smiles switching the sour mood since the arrival of the Imperishables, a day ago.

"Let that lift your spirits! I been seeing glum faces and I don't like it," she altered her sweet smile into a pout. "Whatever it is, keep your head high, keep a smile on your face, like Annalise over here, and live life to great happiness," she grinned fondly, giving a small nod to her students.

The bell rung throughout the intercom and broke the excitement inside the class, apprising us that this period was over and lunch was commencing.

The smiles on people's faces diminished as they went to their groups and grabbed their bags, and coats if they were too scare to put it in their locker this morning. I headed over to my book bag and slung it over my shoulders, smoothing over my mid thigh, navy blue skirt.