Chapter 25: Tamara

With all the willpower inside me, I summoned up the courage to take the undesirable steps towards Hannah's singing partner, Edwardo, at the center of the stage. The chatter leaving the mouths of students barely went detected to my hearing, only the pumping of my heart reeled in my undivided attention. My focus too trained on the hasty beats pressed right outside my own ears, thumping powerfully against my chest, in overdrive mode.

Duh-duhn, duh-duhn...

I didn't imagine that this was what I absentmindedly agreed to.

The heated orange lights from above warmed my skin and the top of my head, but this warmth couldn't end the jitters marching up my back and shaking up my hands. The unpleasant shivers and shakes were not the result of being cold.

Duh-duhn, duh-duhn...

I took my place next to Edwardo, positioning myself behind the stand that held up the microphone. A stream of air flew through my mouth, exiting the same way.

In, out. In, out.

To avoid any contact with the faces in the audience, I swiftly glanced down at my trembling hands. The second that slipped by increased the involuntary movements, now clearly displaying my anxiousness to all. My hands found a temporary home from people's sight. They settled comfortably behind my back. The breathing technique, the counting technique, and any type of relaxing technique I could think of weren't helping.

This wasn't right. I wasn't right.

Performing was my peace, it was a place where I could feel free and safe. I wasn't Annalise Saint, I was someone else onstage.

A more confident, loving, inspiring singer who was happy to share my voice with whoever wanted to hear.

Right now, right this second, it felt like a punishment.

I brought my eyes up to the packed audience, still talking and whispering, some staring at me with piercing eyes.

Yeah, it did feel like a punishment to have the cold, lifeless, and even ominous eyes of gang members scrutinize and belittle me with unsubtle glares. And surprisingly, they all took the front row. The left and right seats were split by an aisle running through the center. My eyes skipped to the far end of the left, instantly landing my sight on Noah's light brown curls and wide smile, indents from his dimples were flashing.

He stared directly at me.

Duh-duhn, duh-duhn...

I immediately set my eyes on the opposite side, noticing Timothy's chocolate eyes neutrally greeting me. Skimming a seat over, Jose's sight intently focused on mine, nothing could be found swirling around in his dark green eyes. Moving one seat over, sat the man of my nightmares smashing Asher's hand. Ricky Rodriguez's inhospitable eyes couldn't appear more unwelcoming if he tried, his look had my thoughts begging me to run offstage.

Duh-duhn, duh-duhn...Duh-duhn, duh-duhn!

Run. Don't look back.

Escape!

The wings are right there, this is your last chance!