Chapter 17: Let Me Go

Here I was.

Here I stood in front of a wooden door, a door with a window displaying the inside of my classroom. The students' eyes were trained on the teacher with wavy dark brown hair, an hourglass figure, and blue eyes behind her glasses.

The 38-year-old teacher had her sight on the far end of the class, lingering on the empty spot next to Alice. Mrs. Saint, aka my mom, was not up at the board writing 'Shakespeare' in big letters, tuning out the gnawing thoughts of why her daughter wasn't in class today.

I'm right here mom.

Only the distant chatter in the room made noises to my ears. However, the exaggerated exhaling of air slipping down my nostrils, dominated my hearing.

Deep breath in and deep breath out, I told myself.

The smooth departure of air from my nose served as my relaxer. I placed my hand on the silver handle connected to the door, not taking any action to go further than that. I didn't turn or twist the handle enclosed in my firm, tightening by the second grip.

If I go inside, if I step inside, I'll see him. I can't see him.

Afraid? My dark self laughs at me pathetically.

Be quiet! I hushed the voice away.

I can face him. I can face Ricky after what he did. I have to, I'm a strong girl and can walk in with my head held high.

Can you really? The vile voice within me questions.

I gulped cool fresh air, dropping my vision to my hand. My perfect, unbroken hand. A hand that is the complete opposite of Asher's.

How could I face a cruel gang leader who hurt my brother, not once, but twice now? And it's all my fault. I squeezed the door handle, the events declaring victory as the memories resurfaced to life.

---

Tate yanks me up the last step, revealing an empty hallway with only one door through the hall. A black double-door entrance remained at the prior location to this area, far away and to the opposite end.

"Stop! Let go!" I yelled, twisting and pulling my arm from his grasp.

"If I let go, you'll run away," he bitterly informs me, halting as he roughly tugs my upper arm towards him.

"Please, just let me go!" I begged, breaking from his hold for a moment, that was until he grabbed me again with twice as much strength.

If it wasn't for the trench coat I had on, his nails would have been digging into my skin. I groaned at the newly applied pressure, seeking his eyes to only find hatred frosting over his pupils and conquering every detail of his face. He didn't wear a hint of sympathy on his hard expression.

"If you don't stop struggling, Ima make sure you gonna regret this more than you already are," he growls into my ear, causing me to flinch back at the insolence in his voice.

"Why are you doing this?" I whined, my big eyes stinging with unshed tears. "Me, you, and Alice have a past, we're friends! You dated her for a year and we all had a good time hanging together," I voiced with a pang of hurt.