Chapter 9: Day Of The Dead

Time hastily raced by, all too soon Wednesday came and it proudly declared the first day of November. Yesterday, October 31st, was left in the past, but will be greatly missed until it comes circling back.

I fiddled with the flyer that I placed on the cafeteria table, reading the words, 'Day of the Dead'.

"It's the talk of the school," Michael words infiltrated my mind.

I ripped my eyes away from the paper and met his dark brown, almost black, eyes. He set his tray of food down, that consisted of three cheese pizzas with ketchup as a side.

"Who do you think is throwing the party?" Zachary said from behind Michael, while holding two water bottles with his right arm and his tray in his left hand.

"Probably Axel, he loves being mysterious and pulling jokes on people. That's probably why he didn't put his name on this," Alice suggested, raising the flyer up and waving it around.

"Maybe," Zachary said, as he plopped his tray of pizza down and took a seat.

He slid one of the waters he had over to his right, Michael grabbed it and shot Zach a smile.

"Thanks ginger!" Michael mirthfully laughed.

Zachary stared directly at me, rolling his lips in and shaking his head in discontentment. I shrugged my shoulders and gave him a sympathetic closed smile, he then nodded his head, as if approving himself of a plan he was concocting.

"No," I mouthed, condemning his actions before knowing them.

His lips grew into a shady smirk and turned his head to Michael, "If you keep calling me that, I'ma call you something worse."

"Like what?" He challenged.

"Don't push it, Mike. Just stop. You know I don't like it when you call me that," he frowned.

"But you don't mind me calling you that when I do that special thing where you-" he started but was prevented from speaking more.

"Michael Adams! What the fuck! Keep that shit on the down low," he yelled, interrupting him.

"Where you moa-" Michael started again, but like last time was cut off.

"That's it. I'ma do it," Zachary claims.

"You wouldn't."

"Want to bet?"

"Bet 10 dollars," Alice calls out from beside me.

I turned my head in her direction and frowned, "Really!" I said in disbelief.

"You're a ni-" Zachary proceeded, until I shouted out in protest of whatever he was going to say next.

"Nope, won't stop me this time, Annalise," he says, while pointing a finger at me.

"Come on, be the mature one," I squeezed in before he could say anything else.

"Tried it and it sucks," he said at the same time he turned to face Michael.

Oh goodness, this is bad.

Come on! What's the worst that he could say? My inner voice questioned.

"You're a nigger," Zach finally spats out, rushing.