Chapter Fourty-Six

-2 weeks later, The Breeders Cup Classic-

The final race of the Breeders Cup was apon us, and the tension in the are was noticeable as the runners circled around in the paddock. 12 runners this year, 11 males, 1 female.

We had won the Breeders Cup Turf with See The Giants earlier today. Now we had to focus on Emily in the classic. No female had won the Classic since the great Zenyatta in 2009, she ran here at Santa Anita, to her memorable victory.

"15 minutes to post, your runners today are:

1. Emily The First 4/1

1A. Stormin' Lucky 4/1

2. Devastate The Legend 9/1

3. Fed Tiz 6/1

4. Prince Sham 11/1

5. Hollywood Classic 7/1

6. Wicked Revenge 3/1

7. Torpedo Mania 10/1

8. Unwanted 2/3

9. Soreno 17/1

10. Smarty Maniac 8/1

11. Iron Chaparral 29/1

12. Makybe Kingdom (Scratched)

Your favorite is Unwanted."

Emily was getting respect for the most part in the betting. The whole team was here to see Emily's bid in the Classic. Caitlyn was up in the seats in the stands. Michael was with Emily as always, Nicole was talking to Jack as I was observing the field.

Smarty Maniac looked like a danger again, he had Anna riding him again. Unwanted was good looking too, he would have his regular rider, Victor Espinoza up again, Prince Sham looked off with his horrible behavior in the paddock, he would have Joe T. in the saddle. Wicked Revenge had Rajiv M. up. Stormin' Lucky was looking like he could put in a good run.

I turned to Jack.

"Stormin' Lucky is looking good." I said.

"If anything, if Emily doesn't show up on the slight chance today, I want Lucky to win." He said and stood next to me. "Unwanted looks tough today. Looks like he's finally grown a bit." He joked.

"Riders up!"

Jack gave Nicole a leg up and we watched the two ladies walk away, leading the line of horses to the track.

-Nicole's POV-

We were here. At the Classic, a place I never thought i'd be in a long time. But here I am with one of the greatest fillies in the world. She's been the greatest horse I've ever sat on.

The lead pony left us in front of the gates. Where 11 other horses faced us. They were going to try and give Emily her second loss.

I watched Soreno, Torpedo Mania, Smarty Maniac, Wicked Revenge and Hollywood Classic load in, then the gate worker lead me and Emily in. I stopped paying attention to the other horses and we focused for straight a head. We need a good break.

All of us were in line and we waited for the ringing of the bell signaling the release of a field.

Ring!

"and they're off in the Breeders Cup Classic!"

The crowd roared as we exited the stalls.

I encouraged Emily to the lead and then I gave her full control. This was a race she should win by herself. We came down the stretch for the first time and lead the way into the first turn. I looked behind us and surprisingly saw Torpedo Mania and Hollywood Classic behind us. Emily was waiting. She moved to as close as the rail as possible and kept a nice pace, we were going to try and go wire-to-wire, something that rarely ever happened in the Classic, but I kept letting her run. I had no control of what Emily was doing, I was just here for the race. She could probably run this all by herself. I looked behind us again, Smarty Maniac had moved up to second but was a good 3 lengths behind as we started to close on the turn, I looked for Unwanted. He was on the outside in seventh. I looked forward and started to put Emily into a drive to the finish as we made our way half way through the turn. She opened up to a 5 lengths lead. The cheer from the crowd got loud as Emily started her run for home, she extended her lead to 7, then all of a sudden. She stumbled but picked herself back up. But she didn't regain her speed. I felt an awkward rhythm in her stride we were close the wire but out lead was shortening as Unwanted started to fly at us on the outside. I can't risk pushing Emily, so I started to pull on the reins to pull her up. Unwanted was at her rear end and the wire was apon us but Unwanted kept running at us and we crossed the finish. A neck separating the two.

Emily quickly slowed to a trot and then a walk. I turned her the stands and the crowd cheered, but instead of happiness filling me. Fear and worry did.

Something happened to Emily in the stretch and it cause her to win by only a neck.

Jack, Nathan and Michael were waiting for us with smiles.

"Great job Nicole!" Nathan said, then his smile faded away as he saw Emily's awkward walk. "This isn't good." He said to Jack.

"Well, quickly let's take the picture, Michael you get her to the barn after and get a vet. We'll stay here for a moment to get the a Breeders Cup Trophy." We all nodded and then were lead into the Winners Circle and took the photo.

I hopped off and there was still worry in me as I walked off to the Jockeys Room.