Chapter Fifteen

- Breeders Cup Day -

Today is the day. Emily is going to try and keep her perfect record in tact. I called Caitlyn today, the owner of Duchess Of Winter and made a deal. But I couldn't think about that right now.

"Alright! Time to face the best fillies in the world! Now let's show the world what she's capable of!" I said, I couldn't keep my excitement in a low level. I looked to Nicole and said "Ride her like always." She smiled at me and I gave her leg up. "Good luck." Nicole was probably just as excited as me. I stood in the center of the paddock and watched the other fillies. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and turned to see Jack smiling at me.

"My friend, Nathan. We got ourselves a filly who has a lot to prove today, but even she knows she can carry any weight on her back." I smiled at him and we walked to our seats and watched the post parade. Every filly was dappled and beautiful, you could see the grays, the chestnuts, bays and dark bays, the fine legs of the fillies and beautifully craned necks and their prancing footsteps as they worked to the gates. I saw Emily, she wore white blinkers and the pink eight saddle cloth. Nathan and I were thinking about changing our silk color to pink and gold with a Crown on the back and IRP under it in silver. Emily was walking with Alex, and the two trotted together with their necks arched. They had been together a long time. Emily tossed her head a bit and bucked slightly, I laughed to myself as I watched her. Lantern was right behind her, the filly is a beautiful solid gray with a long white stocking on her hind left leg. I'd expect to see her soon again after Breeders Cup. Then the fillies started approaching the starting gates and one by one they walked in. First the European filly Fran, then the Saratoga stars Unapologetic and Accusation, and so on and Emily was last.

-Nicole's Point of View-

Emily was as happy as can be as she loaded in the gate, she practically pranced in. I looked to my right and noticed Latern's distinct gray head, to my left was War Light, a quick bay filly. In post one near the rail was Accusation and Apologetic was next to her. On the outside was Bon Bon and Summer Dove and Paper Towns. After familiarizing myself with the field, I looked ahead, between Emily's golden ears and ran my hand down her neck. I breathed along with her and waited for the gates to open.

Ring!

The gates sprang open and we opened to the sound of the Santa Anita crowd letting out an excited roar. Suddenly between the gates opening and the first stride out, Emily got squished by Lantern and War Light, which left her off stride and trying to bounce back. I automatically gave her full rein to go ahead, but this time Emily didn't jump to the front. She stayed behind the pack in last behind Summer Dove. She felt fine to me, so I just went along with it, maybe it's the blinkers. Is she calmer now that she's focused on what's in front of her?

Into the first turn, I couldn't really see who was leading, I saw the blue cloth of the three horse, the small chestnut, Fearless Jewel, and behind her was Tapit's Sky and Mega Megan. In front of us was Summer Dove and Fran, Lantern was a few lengths a head of Fran, leaving a small gap. I began to get worried about Emily, she's never taken this much dirt to her face before.

The start of the backstretch, Unapologetic and Accusation moved up towards the front, so now 5 horses were fighting for the lead, Bon Bon started to fade slightly, she was running awkwardly, held her head high and her tongue flopped out of her mouth. Emily angled herself outside of Summer Dove and slightly pick up the pace, she passed Fran quickly after enjoying the feeling. This left her about 2 lengths behind Lantern. She had her eyes on the solid gray filly, and she got faster, eventually passing her target. The next horses in front of her were Paper Towns and Tapit's Sky. They were running along side each other, which made Emily move herself farther outside possibly four wide.

Into the final turn, Emily knew we were headed home right here so she drastically picked up speed and started passing each competitor one by one, she passed, Mega Megan then, Accusation, Fearless Jewel, Tapit's Sky until all that was left was Unapologetic. Emily ran stride for stride with the filly.

"You're filly ain't going to win today Nicole." I looked over to Corey Nakatani and smiled, the end of the turn was closing on us, and I turned to Corey and said.

"Hope you enjoy the view all the way home Corey, cause, your filly is not winning today." And the turn changed to the top of the stretch and Emily put her speed to another level and accelerated away from Unapologetic and Corey. She was full out sprinting, she pricked her ears forward mid-stretch and eased her way to the wire. She passed it and quickly started to slow. I heard the crowd of thousands cheer as we crossed, and heard the announcers final words as we did.

"Emily The First! Absolutely demonstrated her ability to the world, and did it at Breeders Cup! Super filly? More like a super horse!" 

I turned Emily to the grandstand once Emily was slowed to a trot and we started to trot back with a reporter. "Nicole, you just won your first Breeders Cup race aboard one of the best fillies in the country if not the world. How did you recover from the break early on in the race?" She pointed the microphone to me.

"Well, I didn't. Emily pulled herself out of the situation and placed herself behind the other fillies and made the move on the turn. She's just such a smart horse, it amazes me how much of a genius she is. I was just along for the ride." I smiled and pat Emily's sweaty, muscular neck.

"Nicole, the time for the race was 1:30 flat. Making that the new race record, she also won by 12 lengths if not more at the finish." She pointed the microphone to me again.

"That just shows how much this girl always has left, she's got that extra kick that most horses don't have. She's got a champions kick, and you should watch out for that cause when she's storming home. There's no catching her from there." I laughed.

"Well congratulations Emily and Nicole on your a Breeders Cup win. We hope to see you next year." I smiled and trotted Emily to the stands, as we approached the crowd erupted into applause and cheers and I pounded my fist in the air and celebrated along with them. Soon Alex was next to us with Michael aboard.

"Now she, is something else." Michael hugged me while still in the saddle and we turned to the crowd and celebrated. We approached the winners circle and met Jack and Nathan there, who were waiting for us on the track.

"She ran them down Nicole, she came from behind, I didn't even think she could do that. Seems she has more than one dimension to her...nothing better than that!" Jack yelled and hugged Nathan who stood beside him

"Congrats Nicole." Nathan said and I smiled at him.

"You too Nathan." And he grabbed Emily's bridle and led us into the circle for out photo. 

We stood still for a moment and then I jumped off and hugged Emily. "You did amazing today girl. You showed the world what kind of horse you are, let's hope we do it again next year." I let go of her neck and unsaddled her and went to the scale to check the weight Emily was carrying. I smiled to everyone who congratulated me and shook hands, and signed forms and books and DRF's, and I gave my goggles to a little girl with brown hair and green eyes. The goggles had my autograph on them. As soon as I handed them to her, the little girl squealed with excitement and showed her mom, I smiled at the sight.

Now, time for Eclipse Awards. Horse of the Year? Champion 2 year old filly? I think yes.