Chapter Three

I got back home to the farm and went to Emmy's stall, the big mare hung her head over the door. She was pregnant again, in foal to a pretty pricey stallion, Fiznow (by *Tiznow out of Approximate) he won the Breeders Cup Classic two times, just like his sire, and Kentucky Derby, Belmont Stakes, Jockey Club Gold Cup, Travers, and Santa Anita Handicap twice.

We are hoping for a colt this time.

"You're little girl has got a bright future a head of herself, sold to International Racing Partners. They'll train her to be a champ Em." I pet her head and she nuzzled my pocket for treats. I laughed and got her a mint.

"Wish her luck Em." I pet her neck and went into my house and went to bed.

-

"Emily, Tiz The Love, Sapphire City Slew, Space Needle Dancer and Awesome Amanda need to be worked out. They race Friday." My assistant trainer said to me.

"Okay you take Love and Sapphire. I'll take Space and Amanda."

Kathryn saddled Love and Sapphire and gave Garret and Matt a leg up and got on Sandy, our palomino gelding, and followed them to the track. I did the same with Space and Amanda, gave Aaron and Joy a leg up and got on Curlew my 14 year old bay mare and went to the track.

"Okay just gallop them 7 furlongs and breeze, do a warm up lap, then 7 furlong pole to the finish line." They nodded and I followed them up till the finish. They were galloping smoothly.

"How's Love and Sapphire Kathryn?"

"Relaxed, a lot of energy sprinting 6 furlongs."

"Good. They should be ready."

-Friday-

"There is 45 minutes to post for the 3rd race here at Emerald Downs, the grade 3 Budweiser Handicap."

I followed Tiz The Love and Sapphire City Slew to the paddock, a field of 8 horses in Bud Handicap. Tiz was the morning line favorite at 5-2 his odds could possibly get higher with the 2 horse, Angel Bay, chestnut filly by *Harbor The Gold impressive in her last start nice turn of foot at the top of the stretch to win by 6. But I haven't seen the filly yet so I shouldn't judge yet, she usually comes late cause she a stubborn pain according to her trainer.

"Walk them to the 15 stall three times then to their post stalls." Connor and Kathryn both nodded and I watched them move.

"The number 8 horse Sapphire City Slew, by *Slew City Slew is at 20-1 the outsider is trained by Emily Halten, who also trains the 3 horse Tiz The Love. Sapphire City Slew has shown promise in his last few starts, finishing a strong 3rd in April, he was behind today's Budweiser Handicap contenders Thassermeyer, half to *Wasserman and Electrone. He has a great turn of foot.."

20-1 was the best they offered Sapphire. He has been impressive all week in his works, along with Love. He has only won 3 times in his 21 race career so far, he's a big roan rare color for a horse-thoroughbred really.

"Ready Miss?" I nodded to Connor.

I saddled Love while Kathryn saddled Sapphire. By that time Angel Bay entered the paddock, the chestnut filly was good looking, I watched her close, her muscle dimple wasn't really distinctive, she was kinda jumpy-well no one really knew if that was a good thing or bad thing since she's crazy in general. The only way I and other trainers could tell was by looking at her eye, she slightly reared and I could see the whites of her eye, she was scared and she's really showing she doesn't want to run. Her tail is swishing repeatedly, yup she's not gonna have it today.

"We might have a good day." I smiled to Kathryn.

"Angel Bay not looking good?"

I laughed, "Nope."

The horses where parading in the paddock, 8 horses were racing, only 1 would win. Maybe if you were lucky it would be a dead heat.

"Riders up!"

Kathryn and Connor gave the riders instructions, these two would be great trainers one day.

"The one horse is a gray gelding by *Alaska Slew out of Reiner Lady named Reiner Slew, Reiner Slew last out he lead gate to wire winning by 8 lengths impressively, he has 9 out of 15 starts."

Kathryn, Connor and I went to the rail to watch the post parade.

"The two horse Angel Bay by *Harbor The Gold out of Rainy's Halo, the 4 year old filly last out won coming from last and winning by 6 lengths. She has won 12 out of 14 starts never finishing worst than second."

-

"They are loading in the starting gate for the Grade 3 Budweiser Handicap!"

I watched on the horses load, Angel Bay wasn't having it today and I could see her trainer could tell too, Sapphire and Love went in smoothly, so did the big gray gelding Reiner Slew, he was the one to watch since Angel Bay wasn't as much of a threat anymore.

"They're all in line..and they're off!"

All the horses broke in a line.

"First to the lead is Reiner Slew, right behind him is Cast The Play.."

Tiz The Love was settling into 5th, he had a nice strong stride, Sapphire City Slew was right with Angel Bay in 7th.

"As they enter the back stretch Reiner Slew still has his lead now opening in Cast The Play, Angel Bay who is in her usual spot is in last with Sapphire City Slew about 2 lengths in front of her."

Angel Bay's stride was a bit awkward, she wasn't griping the slow track. I was starting to get worried about her.

"As they near the home turn Reiner Slew has a 5 length lead but here comes the field! And Tiz The Love charges through the rail, Saphire City Slew swigs to the outside with a daunting Angel Bay right behind him but she's not kicking into gear! Into the stretch and Reiner Slew is desperately holding into his short lead over Tiz The Love and Saphire City Slew! These two pull last Reiner Slew! And from the clouds, here comes Angel Bay! Angel Bay closing the gap half way down the stretch here comes the filly! And-"

A gasp swept across the crowd as Angel Bay fell on to the dirt track, throwing her jockey. Tiz The Love and Sapphire City Slew hit the wire, but there was no cheer for the end of the race. Angel Bay had gotten up and the crowd could tell what damage had been done. She had a broken ankle and was running around the track in panic.

Tiz The Love and Sapphire City Slew came back to the stands. The official order of finish was posted maybe five minutes later and Sapphire City Slew had won by a short nose over Tiz The Love, I led Sapphire into the Winners Circle and smiled for the camera real quick before having Sapphire taken back to the barn. I looked to the track before starting for the barn, and Angel Bay was being lead into a trailer.