Chapter Twenty-One

-Aqueduct Race Course, Gazelle Day-

Today was the day Emily made her come back, we hope that it would be like when Wise Dan came back a few years back, except that we win by a lot more. Colic got Emily hard, but she fought it and is now coming back in her first start as a 3 year old.

"Race 7 is the Grade Two Gazelle Stakes, it's a short field today with five fillies entered. Those being:

1. Ally is Sally 30-1

2. Unapologetic 5-1

3. Emily The First 2-1

4. Accusation 5-1

5. Super Savvy 10-1

There is 15 minutes to post."

I lead Emily into saddling stall 3, where Jack had her saddle ready. The dark blue saddle pad was sitting under the tiny saddle that Nicole would be sitting in during the race. Emily already had her white blinkers on. She was ready, Jack pat Emily's neck and I lead her around the circular paddock. In front of us was Unapologetic, who was a bit of a hot head. Emily didn't mind it at all, she just walked with her head held high.

I stopped to let Nicole in the saddle, I gave her a leg up and we continued to walk around for a few more minutes.

"Well, instructions aren't really needed for Emily." I said and laughed a little. "But," I looked up to Nicole. "Give her the comeback of her life." I said and unhooked the lead and Michael grabbed her bridle, he was riding one of our stable ponys, Voreo, cause he's a palomino paint, a vanilla oreo.

I headed back to the stands and took off the number 3 drape or shawl, I didn't really pay attention to them, but I it them back to the paddock judge and went to my seat by Jack.

"5 minutes to post!" I sat down and looked to Jack who was smiling as his eyes were on Emily, I smiled.

"How was she?" Jack asked.

"She was calm, being a Princess as usual." I said, Emily is a big Princess, who loves to race.

"Good." he smiled and looked back to the track.

-Nicole's POV-

We were in front of the gates waiting to start the race. I knew though, it would be over in minutes. I pat Emily's neck as we waited. First to load was Ally Is Sally, then Unapologetic and Accusation, and then Super Savvy, like usual Emily was last to load, she didn't have patience for confined spaces.

I waited in the silence with Emily, I looked to my left and right, I was between Unapologetic and Accusation. I looked forward an leaned closer to Emily's mane and waited to hear the familiar sound of the gates crashing together and the bell ringing...

Then it happen! And Emily broke awkwardly side stepping and slightly brushing Accusation, she swung her head momentarily and then got her feet beneath herself and ran after the field, she was some 3, 4 lengths behind. She knew it too. This was Emily's first time going a mile and an eighth, but I knew she most likely could handle it.

We followed the field into the first turn, Emily made up quick ground and caught up with the field, she sat behind Super Savvy, I looked to see who was leading, it was Ally Is Sally, she was about 7 or 8 lengths in front of Accusation, who was getting some urging to catch Ally Is Sally. I knew the fast pace would help Emily, it would tire the field.

We entered the back straight, well, Emily, Super Savvy and Unapologetic entered the back straight. Accusation and Ally Is Sally were about half way through it, but you could see that the two had wasted considerable energy fighting for the lead. Emily angled herself to the inside of Super Savvy, and inched past her and slowly ran up to Unapologetic. Soon it was just a two horse race, Super Savvy didn't have what it takes to face Emily and Unapologetic, and Accusation and Ally Is Sally where out of energy to run.

Emily and Unapologetic flew into the home turn, I could hear the crowd cheering and screaming for one of us to win. The thing they didn't know was that Emily hasn't even tried yet. I looked over to Unapologetic, her jockey was Nakatani I smiled, but then, Unapologetic bumped us as we entered the stretch and Emily got squeezed in the rail and stumbled, I pulled her up again and we lost about a length but this was just the start. If Nakatani thought that was going to put Emily out, he was wrong. Emily put herself outside of Unapologetic and I felt the drastic surge of speed as Emily ran up next to Unapologetic and the two for a moment were locked together before Emily put a neck in front and ran away from them. I slid my hands up and pushed her along the way and I used the whip once and put it away and just ran with Emily all the way to the finish and I listened to the announcer and the crowd.

"And Emily The First just runaway from Unapologetic who should be sorry for bumping this Queen cause she just won by 8 lengths! Her final time was 1:44. 83! She beat Maud Millers record for the ran! It's on to the Oaks!" I pat Emily's neck as we crossed the finish, it's time for the Oaks!

I slowed Emily to a canter and turned her around back to the grandstand. The crowd cheered for Emily, she pranced to the winners circle, her familiar home. I saw Nathan, Jack and Michael waiting for us and smiled at them.

"She recovered beautifully, now it's time for the Oaks." Jack said and I smiled. We posed for the photo and I hopped off, I took Emily's saddle off and weighed myself and watched Emily walk off. I smiled to myself.

She's something else.